Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Verizon cannot activate Ipad Air 2

I just bought a Ipad Air 2 from a friend of mine. It's only two months old and it he did activate it on AT&T first. I just bought a brand new Verizon Sim Card and it comes up on the Ipad "Verizon Cannot Activate his device, call customer service". What can I do, take it Apple and swap it out or what are my options? I thought you can just swap out sim cards with the Air ?

Thanks

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:09 AM

10 replies

May 23, 2015 11:14 AM in response to brandonfromhickory

Generally speaking Verzion will not activate devices that were not sold specifically to be used with their network.

However, your options at this point are to take it into a Verzon Store or Customer Service Center and see if they can activate it there.

Since you are using a Verizon sim only hey can help you now.

Apple will do nothing at this point since it past its 14day return period, unless there's something really wrong with it that can be linked to a manufacturing defect.

May 23, 2015 3:03 PM in response to brandonfromhickory

The issue is not with the device itself, is whether its serial number and IMEI number exists in Verizon's device database.

Verizon is very picky about what devices it will activate on their network. If they are not in their database, they usually don't activate them.

If this iPad was not sold for Verizon, it will not be in their database. Even though it is unlocked and can use a sim card from pretty much any other GSM (non CDMA) carrier.

Again, you need to sort this out with Verizon in one of their stores or service centers.

May 23, 2015 3:08 PM in response to brandonfromhickory

brandonfromhickory wrote:

I just bought a Ipad Air 2 from a friend of mine. It's only two months old and it he did activate it on AT&T first. I just bought a brand new Verizon Sim Card and it comes up on the Ipad "Verizon Cannot Activate his device, call customer service". What can I do, take it Apple and swap it out or what are my options? I thought you can just swap out sim cards with the Air ?

Thanks

Yes, you can swap out SIM cards on an iPad. Verizon can almost certainly activate that iPad Air 2. Just take it into your local Verizon Store and get them to set it up. Or, do as the error message suggested and call customer service. 800-922-0204.

May 23, 2015 3:19 PM in response to IdrisSeabright

Meg St._Clair wrote:

Phil0124 wrote:

If this iPad was not sold for Verizon, it will not be in their database. Even though it is unlocked and can use a sim card from pretty much any other GSM (non CDMA) carrier.

iPads are a little different than phones. As they are data only devices, they are much easier to move back and forth between carriers.

True, but like I said, its sill something that needs to be sorted out with Verizon.

May 25, 2015 4:10 PM in response to Phil0124

Well, I went to Verizon, got it activated through pre-paid for one month. They activated my sim card in another Ipad Air 2 and it's up and working.

However one strange thing as when I go to Cellular data, put in my login information, it's saying "Cannot activate his device". I've contacted Verizon and they have escalated this problem. Any hints as to why that's happening?

May 25, 2015 6:08 PM in response to brandonfromhickory

If you set up an account yourself from the iPad (as you could have done have you bought the Verizon version), you would be able to see your usage through Settings>Cellular. If you already have an account through Verizon, it's probably cheaper to add the iPad on to the account than to pay for a separate pre-paid plan. Best to have Verizon look at your account and determine that. Make sure you're going into a corporate store, not an authorized agent. If the iPad is put on to your existing account, you'll be able to review your usage online or on your phone using the app Verizon provides.

Verizon cannot activate Ipad Air 2

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.