Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Making the jump to Macbook and exteral iTunes library.

Hi All,

After years of dedication to windows based PC's, i have finally decided to take the plunge and move to Mac!

Q: my current itunes library is on an external hard drive via usb as there is not enough space on the computer. Ideally i would like to plug this drive straight into my Macbook and continue as normal but i know its not as easy as that. How to i overcome-

1. The Macbook will likely not recognise the external USB drive as its in a windows format. How do i get around this without putting at risk the content on the drive.

2. With the above on mind, how do i set up itunes on my mac, point the location of the Itunes media folder to the external hdd and simply continue from there? I.e if i point the settings to the HDD will my library which is also in icloud somply find the tracks in the itunes folder on the Hdd without me having to simply manually select each file?

Thanks

simon

Dell, Windows Vista

Posted on May 23, 2015 1:12 PM

17 replies

May 23, 2015 1:24 PM in response to simonmurray

First see Make a split library portable and make sure your library is truly self-contained on the external drive. Having the media alone on it won't work, and the components need to be in the correct portable relationship to make the transition between operating systems.

OS X will read both FAT32 and NTFS formatted drives, but it cannot write to NTFS without some additional software. You could either buy a second external drive which you format to HFS+, then copy over the content, or purchase a suitable NTFS driver.

Note that you should aim to maintain at least two copies of your iTunes library, and any other important data, at all times. The user tip Backup your iTunes for Windows library with SyncToy includes suggestions for OS X utilities which work in a similar way to SyncToy.

tt2

May 24, 2015 1:42 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you, the help is most useful. One quick query. If i buy a new external HDD and format to HFS+. Can i connect this to my existing PC and port the content across as descrbed when everything is in place? Will the PC see the formatted drive that has been set up for OS X? I.e all "Transition" works will be done on the PC before bringing the Mac into play, including formatting, porting etc. Hope this makes sense?

May 31, 2015 9:09 AM in response to turingtest2

Thank you so much for all your help to date. The library is in the correct format to be ported between devices as outlined in your article. Im about a month away from getting my new mac. Ive noticed on my PC that even though i have copied across the 5 library files as requested, including the hidden sentinel file, itunes in still updating the library files in my old default location, i.e music folder on my pc and inside the iTunes folder within it. I didnt delete this folder even though it was effectively mirrored on my external hdd. Up until the point which i move to Mac, how do i get my pc/itunes to instead update the library files on the external HDD and not the location in which the programme was initially installed? Or is it simply a case of copying the most up to date library files (5 off) prior to porting? Thanks again for your help.

May 31, 2015 11:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Just done it, super thank you.

One final point. When i get the man and i plug in my external HDD in the correct format etc, do i simply but itunes up for the first time and point to the folder.

Is it as striaght forward as that or do i need to do something else to ensure it uses the library etc that is on the external HDD?

Thanks again for all your help

Simon.

Jun 2, 2015 7:07 AM in response to turingtest2

Sorry,

Quick one.

On my portable layout notice that the Home video's folder is resideing within the music folder? Im assuming it should not be there ot should it?

I have also noted that for new Podcast downloads since updating the library, Podcasts are being downloaded to a Podcasts folder within the Music folder and not the older Podcasts folder within theiTunes Media folder.

2 simply things, but just want to get this absolutely right.

Thank You

S

Jun 2, 2015 8:01 AM in response to simonmurray

Where is the active .itl file?

What is the path to the media folder under Edit > Preferences > Advanced?

Ideally they would be:

X:\iTunes\iTunes Library.itl

X:\iTunes\iTunes Media

where X: is the drive letter.

I'm guessing you've picked the folder X:\iTunes\iTunes Media\Music. If so correct it, then turn keep organized off and back on again. That should resolve things.

tt2

Jun 2, 2015 8:13 AM in response to turingtest2

Super,

That has corrected things. I changed the preferences tab to Itunes/Itunes media.

The only thing remaining is that when i go into the Music folder i am seeing--

1. An empty automatically added to itunes folder. (I already have one fo these in the media folder)

2. For some strange reason the Home movies folder is showing in the Music folder. Should i re-locate this to the movies folder and simply lopcate the 8 or so files from within itunes?

Thanks

S

Jun 2, 2015 8:53 AM in response to simonmurray

1. You can delete the extra Automatically Add to iTunes folder, the restructure won't have removed it.

2. Moving things by hand generally gets iTunes confused. Looking at a test library home movies should go to \iTunes\iTunes Media\Home Videos. Does that folder exist? If not you could create it and move the files there, then repair the links to those 8 files if iTunes doesn't pick them up by itself.

tt2

Jun 2, 2015 10:14 AM in response to turingtest2

Hi,

I noticed with making the prfercnes change to Itunes/Itunes Media, when i bring all by music back down from the icloud via match, instaead of it placing it in organised folders within the Music folder i.e Itunes/Itunes Media/Music (The organized bix is ticked), it is instead creating folders for all the music within the media folder.

Tried unchecking and re-checking organised box again but still downloading and organising in the media folder and not music. (Hence why i set the prefercnes to Itunes/ItunesMedia/Music previousl)

Any way to correct it doing this?

S

Jun 2, 2015 10:27 AM in response to simonmurray

Under File > Library > Organize Library the box Reorganize files in the folder "iTunes Media" should be greyed out if the active media folder is using the modern layout. If you select the right media folder \iTunes\iTunes Media then close iTunes and reopen you should see the box as tickable, or, if not, you should find that turning keep organized off, then turning it back on, moves things to the correct location.

If for some reason iTunes insists on using the old layout and doesn't show the reorganize option even though the correct media folder is selected then take a look inside the media folder for a hidden file called .iTunes Preferences.plist. If you examine this with a text editor such as Notepad or Notepad++ you will find a section like this:

<key>Layout Version</key>

<integer>1</integer>

An integer value of 1 indicates the modern layout, 0 the old one. I suppose it might be possible for the file to be locked so that iTunes cannot process a change to it.

tt2

Making the jump to Macbook and exteral iTunes library.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.