Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Accessing iPhone without using touchscreen?

I have an iphone that has suffered a touchscreen error, when the phone was left in water for an hour. With a lot of "CPR" performed on the phone I was able to get the phone sort of back. There are ports a that are rusted from water and the touchscreen is useless. Everything else on the phone appears normal except the LCD is damaged as well. I would like a way to plug the phone into a computer and access it without using the touchscreen. When I plug in the phone into my mac it prompts me for "PASSCODE" which I know but I cannot enter it. I would like a way though itunes, computer, etc.... a way to access the phone and its data. Image capture pops up for importing images but I cannot access the touchscreen so I cannot access the images stored on the phone. Is there third party software or another platform that can do this. I know the passcode but have no way to enter it since the touchscreen is the option access point to unlock it. Thanks Apple community.

iMac, Mac OS X (10.6.5)

Posted on May 23, 2015 11:59 AM

3 replies

May 23, 2015 1:09 PM in response to Naicidrac

There is nothing you can do other than get it fixed/replaced. You will have to pay for an put of warranty exchange as this is not covered under warranty. Unless you have a backup already in place, you are going to loose everything on it as there is no way past the passcode prompt without a working touchscreen, and the fact you are getting that prompt indicates you have never backed up to that computer before. Did you use iCloud backup?

May 23, 2015 1:32 PM in response to Michael Black

Hmm. not sure if I have ever backed it up to this computer. Images were all saved to my synology and contacts to icould. I only use the 5GB given free. I saw a back up ran on Monday night on the images but the water damage happened on Tuesday evening. I think I got most of the images off there on my nightly backup via wifi but I wanted to make sure. I have talked with apple techs and they said they could not do it if the touchscreen is not active but I did list it in the feedback portion of this website so maybe some day this option will be available. So if I replace the touchscreen will this resolve the issue? Is it possible to replace the touch screen? I took it to a local phone repair shop and they messed with it for a day and said they could not save it. Hmmm?

May 23, 2015 1:44 PM in response to Naicidrac

Oh, sorry to say, but if you let anybody other than Apple or an Apple Authorized Sercice center work on you are out of luck with any further support from Apple. They will not even offer you a for fee out of warranty replacement if a third party has worked on it.

And honestly, I doubt just the display was damaged by the water. Water and energized electronics usually mean multiple points of damage from short circuits to components. I'd suspect you need a replacement phone at this point.

Accessing iPhone without using touchscreen?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.