Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes doesn't update photo album names and structure when syncing to iPhone/iPad

Hi,

I recently moved my photo library to the new Photos app (from iPhoto) in Yosemite. I also created a few more regular and smart albums after that. Now, when I am trying to sync my photos to iPhone or iPad in iTunes, using "Selected albums", I can only see a subset of my albums and smart albums. I guess iTunes once took a snapshot of the album structure in Photos but does not update that any more...

Did anybody experience this? If yes, is there a way to make iTunes update the Photos album structure before syncing?

Thank you

system:

- MBP Yosemite 10.10.3 with iTunes 12

- latest iOS 8.3 on both iPhone 5 and iPad Air 2

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), iPhone 5, iPad Air 2

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:42 PM

4 replies

Jun 7, 2015 2:10 AM in response to Andras123

Hi,

I have the same problem. I don't use the iCloud (and I don't want to) and when syncing through iTunes not all the new albums made in Fotos appear. And it seems random, some do appear others don't.

And it is not only albums. When I import fotos that have been temporarily placed on the desktop, they do appear in Fotos and in an album I created. When syncing my iPad Air 2 through iTunes, neither the fotos nor the album is synced.

is use an iMac with all the latest versions.

Jun 7, 2015 3:42 PM in response to CarlAVII

Hi Allen,

Sorry for the late reply and thank you for the suggestion, but my problem turned out to be unrelated to iCloud; I don't use iCloud Photo Library.

Actually the issue just solved by itself since then. It turned out that iTunes was running in the background when i created those additional albums and smart albums in Photos and iTunes didn't update the album structure in real time but kept the "old" structure from the time when i launched it. So what i did was to simply restart iTunes which triggered a re-read of the updated/extended album structure from Photos. Then I could sync my photos with no problem to my iOS devices.

I don't know if that is an iTunes feature or a bug, but it would be nice to see the album structure update in real time if both iTunes and Photos are running and you do some edits to those albums in Photos. (I don't remember how it used to work with iPhoto.)

Thanks,

Andras

iTunes doesn't update photo album names and structure when syncing to iPhone/iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.