Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

VPN Connection Issues

Hi all,

I'm new to VPNs, but wanted to make my own for security reasons. I'm not sure if this is even possible, but I downloaded OS X Server onto my computer to make my own. Basically, I'm not connecting to another machine securely, but rather wondered if it was possible setting up a VPN just to encrypt my internet on my own machine.

No matter what I do it won't connect...all it does is say the server couldn't be reached, never states what's wrong exactly. I have my shared key in right, my DNS servers and names match the ones my regular connection uses, and my IP address is in the range I specified. The logs just say connecting to sever, started and failed, then tries to connect to an alternate one and also fails. Even checked my router, L2TP port is open as well. Anything I'm doing wrong? Much appreciated if I got some help!

iMac (27-inch, Late 2013), OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on May 23, 2015 12:46 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 7:25 AM

A VPN is useful only for connecting from one physical network to another. If you want to hide what you're doing from others on your network or from your ISP, you need a VPN connection to a remote endpoint. There are public VPN services, but you would have to trust the people who run them.

1 reply

VPN Connection Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.