Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Remove a song from iTunes and delete from computer in one fell swoop

I'm running a 2015 macbook pro retina on OSX Yosemite.

I'm looking for a way to remove a song from my iTunes library and delete the associated file(s) from the computer in one fell swoop.

Currently it appears one my remove a song/album from their library, and then proceed to scour through a maze of folders and files on the hard drive, to eventually pin-point the file(s) and move them to the trash.

Assuming most people only use one music player/manager and if removing a file from the player, most likely would have no need to leave the files on their hard drive.

Please let me know if their is a more simple way to remove and delete music simultaneously.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 2:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 3:43 PM

iTunes should offer to move the deleted items to the trash if, and only if, the files are located within the designated iTunes media folder. If you add media in a way which keeps it stored elsewhere you can right/option-click the file you are going to delete and use Show in Finder, then after deleteing from iTunes you can delete the file.

tt2

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 3:43 PM in response to Tom Bombadill

iTunes should offer to move the deleted items to the trash if, and only if, the files are located within the designated iTunes media folder. If you add media in a way which keeps it stored elsewhere you can right/option-click the file you are going to delete and use Show in Finder, then after deleteing from iTunes you can delete the file.

tt2

May 23, 2015 3:57 PM in response to Tom Bombadill

If it is in the default iTunes media folder location, note what turingtest2 stated. "iTunes should offer to move the deleted items to the trash if, and only if, the files are located within the designated iTunes media folder."

If you ar not getting this option,

iTunes prefs > Advanced.

Next to Reset all dialog warnings: click Reset warnings.

May 26, 2015 3:06 PM in response to Tom Bombadill

Thank you for the suggestions but Option-Delete is only removing the data from my iTunes, I still have to delete the files in the Finder.

They are located in the folder "iTunes Music"

I transferred everything from an old mac the Copy & Paste method as Migration Assistant was causing major problems with preferences files.

I see a folder titled "iTunes Media" and a recently added album appears in that folder.

Does anyone know if I should have transferred everything in my folder titled "iTune Music" to "iTunes Media"?

May 26, 2015 3:41 PM in response to Tom Bombadill

iTunes Music is the old name for iTunes Media. If most of your content is in iTunes Music you could change the media folder in iTunes > Preferences > Advanced to iTunes Music, consolidate the media, close iTunes, delete the old redundant iTunes Media folder, then rename iTunes Music as iTunes Media and launch iTunes. iTunes should pick up the change. See Make a split library portable for more background on the topic or rearranging the library into a proper shape.

tt2

Remove a song from iTunes and delete from computer in one fell swoop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.