Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple won't help with icloud lock

I have bought a used ipad2. I was told (should have checked) that it worked and it was all good. Just no charger. Came home and pluged it in, it was in icloud activation lock. Not stolen or wiped locked. Just need original id and password to activate. I tried contacting original owner, but phone number and e-mail (not apple id e-mail....I only had the one) not active anymore. I contacted apple and explained everything including original owners name, address and the email that I had, and asked them to contact them through their apple id to contact me. I did not ask apple to unlock or give me original owners info, I just asked them to send the original owner a message to their apple id to contact me, so we could see if they just forgot to turn off . Why can they not help....I just do not know what to do now. I have tried everything. I guess I have an expensive paper weight.

iPad 2

Posted on May 23, 2015 2:10 PM

9 replies

May 23, 2015 7:28 PM in response to Rysz

I understand that, but I am just trying to do things in the proper way. I have tried to contact the original owner by email(obviously not the apple id email), by phone, etc. all my attempts have come back the same response.....phone no longer active and the email address i have no longer exists as well. I don't understand why apple can't send a simple email to the original apple id saying that i have their ipad now and it is in activation lock (not stolen or lost lock...confirmed by apple) with my email address, so they can contact me. I am not asking for the persons info or apple to unlock it. If it was lost or stolen, I am more than happy to make arrangements to send it back to them. Apple can send us emails on promotions, offers, etc,etc. What if, in the worst case senerio, the person is not with us anymore.....what now???? There has to be something apple can do. I have the person's name, address, phone number(not active anymore), email address(not the apple log in one...the one i have is no longer in service), the serial number of the ipad (which apple confirmed is not listed as stolen or lost) I am at my witts end. I have paid money on the internet to get the original owners info...I don't know what else I can do......anybody have any suggestions?

May 23, 2015 7:53 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I wish I could..I bought it at a garage sale in San Antonio Texas, as I was driving home. I live in London, Ontario, Canada. I didn't plug it in and find this out untill I got home....I guess I have a $100 paper weight....anyone want to buy an ipad 2 for parts??? Screen has no scratches, I am assuming some internal parts are still good...digitizer, etc. I guess I got screwed.....lesson learned...don't trust anyone. I used to take people on their word...not anymore.

May 23, 2015 7:57 PM in response to 519tattman1973

Sorry, but the proliferation of thefts of electronic devices has created this issue. The privacy acts have tied people's hands for making contacts. It is only going to get worse, as laws are passed across the US, and eventually other jurisdictions as well to mandate these "kill" switches on all devices. Sorry for what has happened, and I know it is a bitter lesson to learn.

May 23, 2015 8:08 PM in response to ChrisJ4203

I know...it's a sad world....someone trying to do something the proper way and no help. Doing things the ileagal way...no problems. It would be like having a subscription to onstar and the ability to turn your vehicle off remotely. You sell the vehicle, forget to turn off the antitheft device. The person that buys the car can't use it, they contact gm to contact the original owner to let them know that someone has their vehicle and the antitheft is still activated. Please contact the new owner. Gm in response says "no" it can't. It makes no sense. No personal info is being violated. The new owner is telling the company to give the old owner the new owners emai to contact them...whats the big deal???

May 23, 2015 8:17 PM in response to Rysz

I know, Thats what I tried explaining to apple. I just can't get in touch with the original owner...Trust me, I have tried. I have paid money to do people look up on the internet. I have the person's name, address, and phone number. I have given all this info to apple, but they will not help. I don't see how sending the original owner an email asking them to contact me because I have a device that was locked to them. I was not asking for their info, I was giving apple permission to give them my info. There is no privacy issue....I just don't understand that when you try and do something legit, it don't work....but if you do something ilegit (jailbreak... doulci, ect), you get away with it....What the **** is this world coming to????

Jun 1, 2015 3:50 PM in response to 519tattman1973

Update. I found the original owner. We exchanged a bunch of emails...in the end, the original owner stated that they pawned the ipad and did not go back to the pawn shop to get it back. They said they don't care if they get it back, but they will not remove it from their icloud devices. I even offered them $50. But they still refused. I talked to apple...for over an hour, and in the end they said that if I had the original receipt, they could help me. I said that I don't have the original receipt since I bought it used, but I do have emails from the original owner (email address is their apple id) stating that they pawned it and don't care if they ever get it back. In my opinion, they are admitting that they have relinquished ownership. They have stated that they sold it and do not want it any more. Apple said that they can't do anything without the original receipt.

That is absolutely ridiculous.....the emails have the original apple id, original persons name and them admitting that they don't have nor want it back. They state that they sold it.

Apple will not do anything....I've tried everything and wasted many hours trying to do things the right way.

I now have told the original owner I will send it back to them. They are very happy about this. I live in Canada, they live in the states. I took a hammer to the ipad, put it in a box and sent it back to them via ups.....COD of course. I know it's a little immature, but at least I get some satisfaction.

Apple won't help with icloud lock

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.