Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac (5k) GPU diode gets to 86C

I've had this 5k iMac with the upgraded video card for two months. I run a second monitor in addition to the beautiful 5k display.🙂 I just added Temperature Gauge 4.1 to monitor temperatures and got a warning that the GPU 0 diode reached 86C and that I should take action (reduce the load, as I recall). In general the diodes run much hotter than any other component in the computer. Ambient in the computer is only 19C.

Should I be worried?

iMac with Retina 5K display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1), Also MacPro and running OS X server

Posted on May 23, 2015 4:33 PM

3 replies

Dec 26, 2016 6:37 PM in response to John0001

Actually, even though the software indicated a concern, the same software also showed the fan had never sped up much at all. I've just been told from other sources that the diode can go above 105C before the iMac will throttle power. Before I got this software I did some major video analysis with FCPX. The fan sounded really loud. Wish I'd seen the temp then.

iMac (5k) GPU diode gets to 86C

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.