Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Attaching the antenna plate with a single screw

Hi,

I replaced the HD drive in my Mac mini Mid-2011 with an SSD drive. When reseating the antenna plate the SSD/HD is attached to, I could not insert both screws in the side tabs of the antenna plate. Whathever I tried, only one side or the other could be reseated in place. So, in the end I only attached the screw nearest to the drive connector.

Could this cause damages in some way? Or is it safe as it is, considering the SSD is very light?

Thanx!

Paolo

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 4:13 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 4:17 PM

Is it possible that is because the height of the SSD is greater than it should be to fit properly? Hence, one side of the SSD will be elevated. This may prevent the bottom from being screwed back, and the Mini will be slightly tilted rather than flat, as it should be.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 4:17 PM in response to PaoloT.

Is it possible that is because the height of the SSD is greater than it should be to fit properly? Hence, one side of the SSD will be elevated. This may prevent the bottom from being screwed back, and the Mini will be slightly tilted rather than flat, as it should be.

May 23, 2015 4:26 PM in response to Kappy

Actually, the SSD is a bit slimmer than the HD (7 vs 9,5mm). But I wouldn't exclude it might be a tiny bit larger, and prevent the tightly assembled antenna plate to match the screw hole for just that half millimeter, or even less.

I honestly forgot to check if the mini lays flat on the table. I usually keep it in vertical in a BookArc.

Thank you!

Paolo

May 23, 2015 9:44 PM in response to PaoloT.

What SSD did you use..? Sounds like maybe the hole spacings for the SSD are slightly out of spec. or slightly different than the OEM HDD.

Just my take on it: But I don't see much of a problem using it with only one screw holding that side of the drive, mostly because a Mac Mini doesn't get jostled around or handled like a laptop.

May 24, 2015 6:29 AM in response to den.thed

The SSD is a Crucial M550 (512GB). After reinserting the two fixing screws I kept from the side of the removed HD, it fitted fine in the rubber stoppers inside the mini. But, maybe the don't fit as deeply as in the original HD.

However by reading around the web, it seems it is the antenna plate itself that is really difficult to reposition correctly.

Paolo

Attaching the antenna plate with a single screw

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.