Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Losing it with Mail

Mail is not behaving lately and while two problems are over, a third is a big worry: totally losing messages while they’re still being written — in the last couple of days, two half pages gone, no trace anywhere. Seems it doesn’t happen with a line or two, only after I’ve got half a page up and am going back, making small changes.

The other recent problems were the alphabet changing for no reason (a Restart fixes that) and EVERYTHING being highlighted when I opened Mail, something that an Applecare person fixed on the phone, tho’ don’t remember how.

But the lost messages problem is a killer and starts with the selection process not working, something that’s long happened occasionally: more text is selected than is wanted, maybe a whole line or even a paragraph. When this sort of thing happens, I can’t click on and select a different Mailbox in the left hand column — instead, several will be selected all at once.

In other words the cursor/selection business goes haywire. I’ve found that I can sometimes clear this crazy selection business by clicking up the top, say in the blank “Reply To:” line, but twice now when I resume work the problem recurs and finally another click gets me a blank page.

Yesterday a very patient Applecare person had me type away and click/select, first after a Safe Start and then again without, but the problem didn’t happen.

Any help gratefully received . . . Fortes

iMac (21.5-inch Late 2009), OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 4:44 PM

8 replies

May 23, 2015 6:03 PM in response to Linc Davis

I called up Applecare and the guy who answered (in the US) wanted to have me replicate the problem, tho' I'd told him it was only a sometime thing. So after Shutting Down and rebooting with Shift depressed, I typed out a bunch and attempted to get the problem happen but no good, then another Shut Down and reboot, no Shift key, and the same again but still no repeat of the problem. Actually I'd asked to speak with a Senior Advisor in the hope that my problem might be recognised just from its description, but in the absence of a sample on my desktop the guy gave up.

May 24, 2015 3:49 PM in response to Linc Davis

Thanks, Linc, I'll certainly give it a try.

However your link takes me to the Apple page "Mail (Mountain Lion): Rebuild mailboxes" that says "You might need to rebuild a mailbox to update the list of messages in the mailbox. For example, if messages appear to be missing . . . ."

My messages completely disappeared after the Mail cursor/select function stopped working -- a rather different problem.

Jun 18, 2015 10:50 PM in response to Linc Davis

When Mail goes postal and Select stops working -- what I’ve been doing this last month.

Seems the solution is simple, rather intuitive and fairly quick:

As soon as the problem occurs, hit Command S (can’t hurt) and then, top left Draft. Close Mail, do something else for a bit, open Mail, go back to Draft.

And then wait for 10.10.4

Fortes

Losing it with Mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.