Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Macbook 12 inch doesn't charge right out of the box

Is this a known issue? Brand new right out of the box. I have the charger plugged into a known good outlet. It had a 40% charge in the box, so I was able to install all the latest updates. I was hoping that it might be fixed with an update but unfortunately it didn't. Has anyone ever seen this? I'm going to take it back tomorrow. But can't believe the thing is broke like this right out of the box.

MacBook, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 23, 2015 7:18 PM

8 replies

May 23, 2015 8:11 PM in response to a brody

Didn't say it was running IOS and not sure what version it's currently running since I can't get into it now. When it was new and I removed it from the box it had a 40% charge from the factory. This allowed me to use it long enough to connect to the internet and download updates. I also didn't say I charged it for only a few minutes. It was plugged in for at least an hour and dropped from 40% to 25% while installing updates. The thing is obviously junk right out of the box. Taking it back tomorrow.

May 24, 2015 7:44 AM in response to Lanny

The IOS 8.3 must have been grabbed from my profile which was created with my iTunes account. I own an iPhone as well. Either way thanks for the non-answers. You would think Apple would have someone moderating these forums and moving questions if they are posted in the wrong section. But I guess the first person to ever do that. I would also think they would want to post some type of response to someone that just purchased $1,400 brick.

User uploaded file

May 24, 2015 9:25 AM in response to njdave70

These forums are user-to-user and get 10's of thousands of posts per day. The moderators just keep the wheels from coming off, they do not read every post.

Apple has other channel for direct support to the customer and as the new owner of a product you have telephone support for free, plus you can make an Apple Genius bar appointment, you can take it back to the store where you got it.

These forums are a outlet for users to contribute to other users.

I will alert the moderators that this post should be moved to another forum.

Macbook Forum is

MacBook

Yosemite (the version of Mac OS X on your Macbook) is:

OS X Yosemite

May 24, 2015 10:15 AM in response to njdave70

You could try to reset the System Management Controller, to see if that helps the new MacBook

12-inch recent 2015 model discover its ability to charge or show the charge effectively...

•Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

There is so much that one can do, however I'd never attempt to update software in an all-new

computer once it appeared to not be at least 100% charged. To setup the first or admin account

is OK, since you can't tell much about the unit until you can do that; however to test any new item

always is advised no matter the maker.

If you bought the MacBook from an official Apple Store (not just authorized independent reseller)

there should be no problem with returning it within a limited time, for any reason; especially in

the US or Canada. Other regions may vary, especially when there is no official Apple store or an

official Apple Store web site. Independent resellers usually do not honor the 14-day return policy

and have their own pre-buyer warnings about no returns after sale. They can fix issues under the

complementary warranty or some in-house arrangement, in non-Apple reseller locations.

Some resellers of Apple brands (such as best buy or other) may have OK return policy if an item

fails right way, but not the same as the official Apple store or online policies.

The SMC reset may help.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

May 24, 2015 12:31 PM in response to K Shaffer

Thank you everyone that posted helpful replies. I did try the SMC reset procedure but didn't work. I ended up taking it back to Best Buy where they made a rather strange discovery. Although my MacBook was sealed in the box it had s shelf display sticker on the back of it. They didn't admit it but to me it sounds like they sold me an open box item as new. If I get a replacement it will be from the Apple Store not Best Buy.

May 24, 2015 6:25 PM in response to njdave70

Not all Best Buys are bad. In fact, I've found some of them hire very competent Apple service techs. I would at very minimum inform Best Buy corporate of your experience so they can find out why you were misled. Especially since many parts of the country are only serviced nearby by Best Buy as authorized Apple tech support staff. For those areas, many people prefer in person support, and would need Best Buy to make an effort to have an Apple authorized staff member who can answer the questions appropriately.

New Macbook 12 inch doesn't charge right out of the box

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.