Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I switch the image on my monitor from horizontal to vertical?

How can I switch the image on my monitor from horizontal to vertical? Only from time to time.

I can physically switch my monitor (Samsung SyncMaster 910T) vertically or horizontally but I don't want to do that.

I think I can switch the IMAGE but I forgot how to do this.

I'm not sure where to post this but if you knew why I ask, perhaps this is the right forum:

The reason is I want to copy an image on a website (by using TextEdit--> Services-->capture selection from screen) and since my Monitor is a rectangle, I am missing a part of the photo at the bottom.

The pointer will not scroll down the image, unlike when you want to copy something (Edit-->Copy) by moving the pointer to select, it will scroll down the image if the pointer reaches the bottom of the screen.

For some reason, that doesn't work with TextEdit-->capture selection. It doesn't scroll down (it would be great if it does, but it doesn't).

The reason I want this method over the Edit-->Copy or even right-click and "capture image" is that with these methods the BIG image sometimes will result in a much smaller image. Often it's the same size, on rare occasion it's even bigger than the original but 1/3 of the time (I guess) it will be ridiculously small. That's why I want to do "Capture selection from screen".

Mac Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8), Quad-Core Intel Xeon

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:27 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:40 PM

Is there a rotational control in the System Preference> Displays settings panel?

I see there's one (even though my display is an Apple Cinema 20-inch aluminum)

in OS X 10.9.5 with my Mini. -- My other, older Mini has a Samsung rotatable LCD

and I've never used it in the vertical direction. The system profiler says it's supported

so rotation must also be controllable, within the older Mini that runs OS X 10.5.8.

Appears the same control exists with the old OS X as well; I just looked into it.

So the Displays settings for rotational control would be the first place to set that.

Unless the problem is with a failure, there. 😐

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 10:40 PM in response to tony gardino

Is there a rotational control in the System Preference> Displays settings panel?

I see there's one (even though my display is an Apple Cinema 20-inch aluminum)

in OS X 10.9.5 with my Mini. -- My other, older Mini has a Samsung rotatable LCD

and I've never used it in the vertical direction. The system profiler says it's supported

so rotation must also be controllable, within the older Mini that runs OS X 10.5.8.

Appears the same control exists with the old OS X as well; I just looked into it.

So the Displays settings for rotational control would be the first place to set that.

Unless the problem is with a failure, there. 😐

May 26, 2015 4:18 PM in response to tony gardino

Just in case anyone is interested in the exciting adventures of Tony:

After rotating the images to 90 degrees it took me a few seconds to realize that I will be better off rotating (physically) the monitor (I know I said I don't want to do that but I changed my mind).

Well, it is weird. My thinking was Everyting we read is vertical (newspapers, weekly/monthly magazines, books.

Supermarket brochures, etc). Only coffee books about art would be (sometimes) horizontal.

Since I read websites, write in TextEdit, it would make sense to be vertical. Only for movies it should be horizontal.

So I made it vertical!..Weird! And the problem is that you don't see the right side, which you need to control the up/down arrows. Or if you move it to the right, you don't see the upper left with the back button page etc.

It is too narrow, especially since my resolution for the display is 1280 x 1024

Other resolutions made all the folders and texts much too small for my weak eyes. And 1280 x 1024 is still acceptable by Samsung (they warn you if you choose a resolution that is bad for some reason or other).

So after 3 minutes, I went back to horizontal.

And the reason why I wanted to do this in the first place has been resolved.

Just in case America was worry about my problem. So now you know.

May 26, 2015 8:35 PM in response to tony gardino

I prefer landscape ( horizontal) mode over portrait (vertical) mode.

My monitors have always been rectangular and I constantly use my iDevices in landscape mode.

I think this is why I like large art books and coffee table size books (my book collection is mostly these) as I prefer the longer printed format if these types of books over books printed in the more common standard, portrait style formats.

I, also, like magazines that are printed in more of large, coffee table/landscape style, too!

😉

May 26, 2015 9:03 PM in response to MichelPM

Also, with landscape/horizontal, one can have two browsers or applications open

side-by-side; and hope to use most of the space that otherwise is just background.

Years ago I had an early Pivot display with its software, before the OS included any.

It was curious, and some kinds of text pages were OK with the 2-way rotation.

To change the resolution usually helps, so you can hope to access the main menu;

and to be able to change it back... In the day, that certainly different, & was a CRT.

Not sure if other peripheral visual devices could be useful with the rotate view...😎

How can I switch the image on my monitor from horizontal to vertical?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.