Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Terminal, Process Completed.

Whenever I open up terminal, I don't do anything and a few seconds later this comes out.

Last login: Sun May 24 10:15:47 on ttys000

[Process completed]

When this happens I'm unable to do any commands whatsoever.

Before, I was messing around with some terminal stuff and before my terminal looked like this: Also that picture was what I found on the internet, I use a macbook pro reti
User uploaded file
I don't know if the instant [Process Completed] thing is because of how my terminal became weird, or anything. However I do believe that this started after I was messing around with bash profiles. The blank spots next to iMac in the picture were the name of the mac account. Can someone help me?

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2)

Posted on May 23, 2015 6:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2015 8:12 PM

Back up all data.

Select

Shell ▹ New Command

from the Terminal menu bar. Uncheck the box marked

Run command inside a shell

if checked.

Copy and paste the following line into the text box that opens, then press return:

mkdir disabled_shell_files

Close the Terminal window that opens. Repeat with this line:

mv .profile .bash_history .bash_profile .bashrc .inputrc disabled_shell_files

Your old shell initialization and history files will be saved in a directory named "disabled_shell_files" at the top level of your home directory. It's normal that some of these files will not exist, and therefore you will get some "no such file" errors.

Close the window, open a new one, and test.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2015 8:12 PM in response to likeyeyey

Back up all data.

Select

Shell ▹ New Command

from the Terminal menu bar. Uncheck the box marked

Run command inside a shell

if checked.

Copy and paste the following line into the text box that opens, then press return:

mkdir disabled_shell_files

Close the Terminal window that opens. Repeat with this line:

mv .profile .bash_history .bash_profile .bashrc .inputrc disabled_shell_files

Your old shell initialization and history files will be saved in a directory named "disabled_shell_files" at the top level of your home directory. It's normal that some of these files will not exist, and therefore you will get some "no such file" errors.

Close the window, open a new one, and test.

Nov 21, 2015 3:58 PM in response to likeyeyey

I found disk permissions to be the source of this issue in OSX El Capitan, and unfortunately, the Disk Utility app in El Capitan no longer repairs permissions. (And the "process completed" terminal error means we can't use the terminal either). Behold:

How to repair file permissions in OSX El Capitan without the command line or disk utility:

- Manually download the latest OS update from apple, and install it (or re-install it).

Here's a link to the latest El Capitan update (as of Nov 2015):

OS X El Capitan 10.11.1 Update

Also, do yourself a favor and keep system integrity protection (SIP) enabled. If you must disable it for some reason, be sure to re-enable it after you've made your changes.

Terminal, Process Completed.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.