Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where can I download 10.x?

Does anyone know if it's possible to download QT version 10.x (10.3)??? My MacBook Pro recently updated to version 10.4 and some of the changes make the program no longer functional for my purposes. Specifically the lack of audio support in FF (2x) mode. I'd really like to downgrade to the previous version. Is this possible?

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:30 PM

4 replies

May 23, 2015 10:14 PM in response to dlbenz

Specifically the lack of audio support in FF (2x) mode.

The functionality you think is missing is still there, just under a different name.

The 2x, 3x, 1/2x designations for audio speeds were always misleading. The actual speed-ups or slow-downs were nothing close to these multipliers. The updated version of QuickTime retains the same speeds, just labels them more correctly. Find the one that corresponds to the old 2x and you'll be all set.

May 24, 2015 6:12 AM in response to dlbenz

Does anyone know if it's possible to download QT version 10.x (10.3)??? My MacBook Pro recently updated to version 10.4 and some of the changes make the program no longer functional for my purposes. Specifically the lack of audio support in FF (2x) mode. I'd really like to downgrade to the previous version. Is this possible?

For your system to upgrade QT X v10.3 to v10.4, you must have upgraded your operating system from Mavericks to Yosemite. To roll back QT X v10.4 back to QT X v10.3, you will have to re-install the entire Mavericks operating system which includes the older player which may or may not fix the support of audio loss at 2.0X playback speeds. As previously indicated both QT X v10.3 and QT X v10.4 support audio playback at to a maximum speed of 1.9 even if 2.0x is not supported supported by a particular QT X structure/player combinations.

User uploaded file

May 24, 2015 6:52 AM in response to dlbenz

Can you expand on your comment? Are you saying I should still be able to hear audio in the latest QT in FF mode? How? Where do I find a setting for this? In the previous version it would just play when I was in FF mode. Now I simply get silence.

As explained in your original topic, the latest version of of the QT X player (v10.4), plays audio at FF playback speeds of 1.1 to 1.9 inclusive. To do this, simply hold down the Option (Alt) key while you click on the FF button. This will cycle playback through the 1.1x to 1.9x range and you can stop on the speed that is most to your liking. I normally set the playback speed to 1.9 and then use gestures (one-finger swipes on the magic mouse or two-finger swipes on a trackpad) to "scrub" quickly through the file as needed. This is particularly helpful if you transcribe or make notes from your videos and don't have a foot controller setup which I'm not sure is even available any more.

User uploaded file

Where can I download 10.x?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.