Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New MacBook 2015 12" $1,299 v. $1,599 model

I'm hoping to buy the new 12" MacBook later this year and I don't know wether to get the more expensive model or not, I wouldn't be using it for anything extreme like video editing or code just the usual things like watching Netflix/Hulu and doing projects on Microsoft Office. I am usually good with tech stuff but I honestly don't know what would be best for me. Any advice about which model to choose would be appreciated! Thanks!

MacBook, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 23, 2015 9:04 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 2:53 PM

Since these units are not upgradeable after purchase, you'd have to consider what

possible uses & workload you may expect it to perform after the first or second year.

That is a larger comparison that probably should include the longer-standing other

models of portable Apple computer, the MacBook Air series & MacBook Pro series.

System resources are fairly limited to those included at time of manufacture and not

subject to later upgrade by the user, and in several instances, not upgradeable by an

Apple service technician. So the capacity of solid-state-drive, and random access

memory chips are affixed to the logic board. Micro-precision soldered on. So that is

why you order ahead of possible useful purpose and get a bit more than you need on

the day you think that you want one. Some suggest this is "future-proofing" but I know

that is impossible. Consider a disposable beverage container, but with a screw-on cap.

That's about as future-proof as a modern high-tech device, too. Buy the larger size if

the idea of doing more with it strikes your fancy, since you can CTO or custom build

almost any of them, given choices in the Apple Store online. The weight & size of the

new 12-inch MacBook has some mixed blessings; however it includes limitations in

that your option to upgrade really means looking into the hardware of the other models.

I recommend that you look carefully into the graphic processor, the computer processor

and RAM total affixed to the logic board; along with the storage capacity of the SSD or

equivalent non-rotational flash storage drive. Accessories and the expansion of useful

purpose, or if used as a desktop replacement, that could add costs in excess of another

model that already is equipped to handle more tasks. A consideration if you're on a budget.

Professional software for specific purposes may require additional computing power, or

graphics not present in the new model. At some point base MacBook specs may improve.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 2:53 PM in response to kristopher.g

Since these units are not upgradeable after purchase, you'd have to consider what

possible uses & workload you may expect it to perform after the first or second year.

That is a larger comparison that probably should include the longer-standing other

models of portable Apple computer, the MacBook Air series & MacBook Pro series.

System resources are fairly limited to those included at time of manufacture and not

subject to later upgrade by the user, and in several instances, not upgradeable by an

Apple service technician. So the capacity of solid-state-drive, and random access

memory chips are affixed to the logic board. Micro-precision soldered on. So that is

why you order ahead of possible useful purpose and get a bit more than you need on

the day you think that you want one. Some suggest this is "future-proofing" but I know

that is impossible. Consider a disposable beverage container, but with a screw-on cap.

That's about as future-proof as a modern high-tech device, too. Buy the larger size if

the idea of doing more with it strikes your fancy, since you can CTO or custom build

almost any of them, given choices in the Apple Store online. The weight & size of the

new 12-inch MacBook has some mixed blessings; however it includes limitations in

that your option to upgrade really means looking into the hardware of the other models.

I recommend that you look carefully into the graphic processor, the computer processor

and RAM total affixed to the logic board; along with the storage capacity of the SSD or

equivalent non-rotational flash storage drive. Accessories and the expansion of useful

purpose, or if used as a desktop replacement, that could add costs in excess of another

model that already is equipped to handle more tasks. A consideration if you're on a budget.

Professional software for specific purposes may require additional computing power, or

graphics not present in the new model. At some point base MacBook specs may improve.

Good luck & happy computing! 🙂

New MacBook 2015 12" $1,299 v. $1,599 model

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.