Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing the battery

How easy is it to get a battery changed in an iPhone and where is the best/cheapest place in the uk. I've just missed an important voicemail message and wondering if getting a better battery might help with this issue.

I Currently have the 4s and the battery is no longer any good but I can't afford to buy a new phone at this time.

also can i get past versions of iOS. I never updated to 7.1 for some reason but don't want to get 8 as it takes up so much space that I don't have

Posted on May 23, 2015 10:42 PM

6 replies

May 24, 2015 5:23 AM in response to hrh_23

Go to Apple and pay the battery replacement fee. They do not actually replace the battery in your device. They simply swap your device for a factory refurbished unit which is like a new phone (factory installed new display and new battery). Yours gets sent back to the factory in China for refurbishment or recycling.

The replacement will also have a 90 day warranty. Just backup yours so you can restore the new one from that backup. The battery service in the UK is £ 59.00 plus taxes.

May 24, 2015 5:38 AM in response to KiltedTim

When they did my 3GS and 4 (I kept them both a long time and the batteries died) they swapped them and told me they don't open them up to change out the actual battery. Different models may be different I suppose though, just as the screen repair options have changed over time with new models.

i also do t see how getting a new battery will fix a missed voice mail either though. As long as the phone is on, connected to the carrier's network and can make and receive calls, then the battery is not the issue.

P.S. I do see on the iPhone battery service support page does now say they may replace the device (it used to say your device would be exchanged). I guess perhaps the same design changes that now enable in-store display removal on the 5, 5c, 5s and 6 make it possible to actually replace just the bettery? I'd be very surprised if they'd open up a 4s in the store though.

May 24, 2015 6:20 AM in response to hrh_23

hrh_23 wrote:

How easy is it to get a battery changed in an iPhone and where is the best/cheapest place in the uk. I've just missed an important voicemail message and wondering if getting a better battery might help with this issue.

I'm not clear why you think changing the battery would solve the problem of not getting a voicemail message. Calls will go to voicemail even if the phone is turned off. Most carriers also have a method of accessing voicemail with out the phone.

I concur with the previous posters. Take the phone to Apple. Describe what the problem is, not what you think the solution is. You can ask them to test the battery but be sure to describe the problems.

Best of luck.

Changing the battery

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.