Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I stop my mac from powering down into standby while Im listening to music

how do I stop my mac from powering down into standby while Im listening to music?

- I get maybe one hour, and if I'm away from my computer it goes into standby - most annoying

- I've set all settings I can find to ensure this doesn't happen yet still it does

- Unless I touch my computer within the one hour - it goes down, shutting down my music playlists,

Downloads , streams, etc...and then i have to log in again from ID screen

And reopen browser, streams, playlists etc from scratch

This never used to happen but my old system melted down after an apple update -

destroying my system and all my music video photos and file of 10 years more...

so I had to install new hard drive and update OS to 10.0.1

now I have this problem continuously unless I touch computer once an hour - it switches off aggghhhh!!!

so unbelievably irritating - how can I stop it!!! please obi one - your my only hope...

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:36 AM

9 replies

May 24, 2015 3:40 AM in response to lllaass

Hi lllaass -

Thankyou for response

Yes I had already set my settings to never sleep

and now Im trying your second suggestion -

but I cannot find -

Go to the Finder and select Go menu and Go To Folder

I've opened up my Finder but I have no Go menu or Go to folder top select - How do I acces/find this

Im sorry Im not at all tech savvy and mac is all a mystery to me

I just plug and play like a luddite..

so if you wouldn't mind waking me thru a bit more detailed as I don't know at all what I'm doing

but most appreciated your help and am trying to discover why this keeps happening

May 24, 2015 7:20 AM in response to I And I

From the menu bar, select

 ▹ System Preferences... ▹ Security & Privacy

If there's a closed padlock icon in the lower left corner of the preference pane, click it and enter your login password when prompted.

Click the Advanced button and, in the sheet that opens, uncheck the box marked

Log out after … minutes of inactivity

May 25, 2015 5:52 PM in response to I And I

I know Linc answered your question but I wanted to mention a little app that I absolutely love.

It's a small app that sits in your menu bar at the top. You simply click on it and it will keep your computer from going to sleep, dimming the scree or starting a screen saver for whatever time period you have it set for. ( https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/caffeine/id411246225 ).

Have a great one.

how do I stop my mac from powering down into standby while Im listening to music

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.