Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

extracting files from a .jpg image

Hi guys, i need yo help, i accidentally formatted my ext. HDD and lost all my work but managed to recover the files with a third party called Stellar Phoenix, problem is that it made a .jpg zip which i cant access i have tried changing the file name to .rar but it says it cant use the extension i have also tried to download unarchivers but they have also failed ... any help pliz of how to unzip it

Thanks

Xzvie

iMac

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:02 AM

7 replies

May 24, 2015 11:23 AM in response to xzvie

xzvie wrote:

it made a .jpg zip which i cant access i have tried changing the file name to .rar but it says it cant use the extension i have also tried to download unarchivers but they have also failed ... any help pliz of how to unzip it

Hello xzvie,

What do you mean by that? Did it create one big zip file? Did it change all JPG files to zip? Or is this just one file? Data recovery is not an exact science. What you describe doesn't make sense. Usually, these tools find data, which they can recognize. If the tool creates a ZIP file, that file is a zip file, although it could be corrupt. You have to unzip it. What doesn't make sense is why you would assume the ZIP file has anything to do with any particular JPG file. Usually you lose all file names in the recovery process.

May 25, 2015 1:19 AM in response to etresoft

Hello etresoft

it created one big file amounting to 268GB and thats approximately about the data i lost, maybe if its corrupt but it saved it as a .jpg, and having heard that some files can be zipped as jpg i thought its one of those instances where you can just change the extension to maybe rar and unzip it but it failed, i have downloaded other third party unarchivers and still no solution, i hope you can help or some else, ...

Thx

May 25, 2015 4:55 AM in response to xzvie

Hello again xzvie,

I'm sorry, but I still don't understand. Is it a zip or a jpg? It can't be both. What are the reasons you think it is a zip? What are the reasons you think it is a jpg?

Unfortunately, it sounds like it is neither. A 268 GB file is most likely junk. Most importantly, where is the file? Did it create the file on the disk you formatted? If so, it may be hopelessly scrambled at this point. Normally, data recovery tools will run for six hours and give you a list of possible files found that you can restore to a different disk. if it did this and created a 268 GB file, then the recovery failed. Now I would be concerned about where it put that huge file. I suggest trying a different data recovery tool, if it is still possible.

extracting files from a .jpg image

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.