Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My iPhone 6 got stolen. The status still appears "Offline" after 24 hours of incident.

Hi,

I am currently on vacation in Stockholm. I bought a new iPhone 6 at Amsterdam airport on my way to here. I activated it with the SIM from my country and I was using it for taking pictures and accessing Facebook etc with the hotel's wifi. While I was watching some street performance in the central station area someone pick-pocketed me and it was gone... Only after 2 days of purchase...

"Find My iPhone" was turned on but almost 20 hours after the incident it still appears as "Offline". What should I do? I understand that the phone needs to be on to be tracked. The thief will need to turn it on eventually to use it or sell it to someone, but is there way for these these thieves to turn it on without being tracked down? I don't want to keep sitting in front of my laptop rest of my time here to wait until this appears on my page. What should I do? Should I just forget about it? ah.... Thank you in advance for your advice.

Posted on May 24, 2015 1:20 AM

6 replies

May 24, 2015 9:59 AM in response to DesignAgent

Personally, I would go ahead and choose the option to erase the phone. The phone can be reset to bypass the passcode. While it's unlikely that someone could guess your Apple ID and password to unlock the phone, it's not impossible. Just this morning, someone posted about how they didn't wipe their lost phone and someone logged into their iCloud account and removed the iPhone so it could be unlocked.

iPhone 6 stolen and Apple ID hacked in China

You're probably not getting it back, so just put it into Lost Mode and move on.

May 24, 2015 4:45 PM in response to DesignAgent

Yes, I already put it onto "Lost Mode". I read it somewhere that you can't reset it and use it because if the Activation Lock is on you can't go past the restore point. Is that true? Meaning that the phone is useless? or there is actually a way to reset it and use it/sell it as if its brand new? Honestly I am still hopping that the it will appear in my "Find my iPhone" map after a month or two. Thank you.

My iPhone 6 got stolen. The status still appears "Offline" after 24 hours of incident.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.