Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

sync failing unknown error

I noticed my iPad was not syncing on iCloud since January 7 and then after trying to fix that by trying different networks, deleting last backup etc tried to sync via iTunes to a PC which last worked when I did it a month ago. I keep getting "iTunes cannot backup the iPad because an error occurred". I tried restarting the PC (Windows 7) and the iPad and also tried on a Mac (Yosemite) and got the same result.

I have found a log that iTunes generates which seems to have clues that would indicate that:

• It cannot backup up a specific application - and if I deleted the mysterious app the rest of the iPad could be backed up
  • The application in question uses shared data

Logfile:

[6776 @ Sat May 23 21:00:42 2015] [com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] WARNING: Backing up 29280337716dcb9687f644bfb041b83b30cc176a Same as directory in backups on my PC

[6776 @ Sat May 23 21:01:45 2015] [com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] ERROR: Backup message response: 101 Unable to open domain directory: No such file or directory (2) at path "/var/mobile/Containers/Shared/AppGroup/DDDF6CAC-C272-4640-A40B-2AB7896F7CA3" (MBErrorDomain/101)

[6776 @ Sat May 23 21:01:45 2015] [com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] WARNING: No MobileSync error code defined for error code: 101

[6776 @ Sat May 23 21:01:45 2015] [com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] ERROR: Backup error: -1

[1048 @ Sat May 23 21:02:04 2015] [(unknown facility) iTunes.exe] AMDErrorForMobileInstallationCallbackDict (thread 5436): GOT AN ERROR 0xe8000067

[1048 @ Sat May 23 21:02:04 2015] [(unknown facility) iTunes.exe] perform_command (thread 5436): There was an error communicating with the service agent: 0xe8000067

[1048 @ Sat May 23 21:02:04 2015] [(unknown facility) iTunes.exe] AMDeviceSecureArchiveApplication (thread 5436): Could not archive application on device: kAMDAPIInternalError

How do I turn the information in the log file into something meaningful?

iPad, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:22 AM

9 replies

May 25, 2015 9:40 PM in response to softgrow

Can you please elaborate on where and how you located that Log File. I personally would like to give your working theory a try on my iPhone 6Plus as I am getting the same "Sync Failing Error" result with an iPhone 6Plus (128gig) w/ iOS 8.3 using Windows 7 (64 Bit) on a PC/Tower, w/ iTunes vers. 12.1.2.27

If the Problem is because I have an App on my new iPhone that is causing unknown issues with any Syncing and Backing Up my Device, then I need to resolve the issue by removing that app immediately. Which that being the case, and since you have seemed to resolve a similar issue, I would kindly like to see what process you followed to get that result. If you would be so kind as to give/share a "FULLY DETAILED" mapping of exactly what you did, where you found the log file, what routes you've taken and so on to reach that file, and what the file is called and what likely folder it would reside in, it would be Most Appreciated.

May 25, 2015 11:33 PM in response to MasterSeerOphiuchus

To find your iTunes logs:

1. On your Windows computer open the File Explorer and put %APPDATA% in the address bar (with the percent signs). This should take you to, in the case of Windows 7 to something like C:\Users\{your windows username}\AppData\Roaming
  2. Then open the "Apple Computer" directory
  3. Then open the "Logs" directory
  4. In the Logs directory there will be a number of log files with names of the form ccc.nnnnnn_ddMMMyy. Open the most recent one and you will see logs from all of your backup attempts

You should then have a better idea as to what is going wrong.

P.S. I didn't really solve my problem as I couldn't find the application associated with the offending UUID. I had a look through the diagnostic data which does list UUIDs for applications that crash, but the application question hasn't been crashing, just blocking backups. :-<

Jun 9, 2015 5:11 AM in response to softgrow

I was able to fix it.

I used Xcode to see my device's log files (cmd+shift+2, select device, bottom pane) and noticed when I enter unto storage usage details in the Settings app, some log records appears about the apps I don't have currently (in my case it was Dropbox and Litely). I tried installing those apps, but my iphone have not succeeded, leaving them in some middle state. I entered storage usage details one more time and noticed somewhere in the list there are two unnamed apps taking place, there was not any app name, but app versions exists, and they were the same like latest Dropbox and Litely app versions. So I just deleted those apps right from the storage usage and after that I was able to backup my iPhone.

Hope this helped you (and shame on Apple). 🙂

Oct 9, 2015 7:34 AM in response to softgrow

Thanks for the post!

This is my fix, for iPhone 6 iOS 8.4 2015

My problem was caused by a dummy app, I removed it through iPhone's SETTING, GENERAL, USAGE, MANAGE USAGE.

Look for empty app name or blank icon. Remove the app.

Try to backup again, if fail again, check for the LOG of your iTunes.

For Windows, go to

a) C:\Users\XXXXXX\AppData\Roaming\Apple Computer\Logs

b) Open the log, and see what's the problem. For my case there problem was

[11132 @ Fri Oct 09 21:27:23 2015] [com.apple.console AppleMobileBackup.exe] ERROR: Backup message response: 101 Unable to open domain directory: No such file or directory (2) at path "/var/mobile/Containers/Shared/AppGroup/8E726549-3ED1-4171-818A-12B66843C156" (MBErrorDomain/101)

c) For my case, this App " 8E726549-3ED1-4171-818A-12B66843C156 " caused the problem. So I just browse into my iPhone's directory using iExplorer, and create a folder with the same name. Note: My iPhone is jailbroken.

Then I manage to backup my phone.

Note: If you see similar error message, thats mean it's caused by an APP. Just try to delete more app and try to backup again.

Good Luck!

sync failing unknown error

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.