Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 repeatedly connecting and disconnecting from Macbook Air?

I have an iPhone 6 and a mid-2013 Macbook Air (yes, all are running the latest OS)

Every time I plug my phone into my laptop it repeatedly connects and disconnects, no matter how many times I restart my phone or laptop, what cord I use or what USB I use.

I haven't been able to sync my phone in months, does anyone have a solution to this? It's driving me crazy.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:27 AM

11 replies

Aug 13, 2015 6:36 PM in response to Lucy Hawkes

Hello Lucy Hawkes,

Since you've ruled out USBs and cables I had a few questions to try to help narrow this down. Does it only disconnect/reconnect in iTunes or Photos? Try to see if it has this problem in every application (iTunes, Photos, Image Capture.)

If it occurs in all of those applications try another computer if you have the chance. It may end up being your lightning port on your device. I hope this information helps.

Sep 8, 2015 11:02 AM in response to Lucy Hawkes

I lost my original iPhone cable and bought a different one for a replacement and this is when the issue started for me. I happen to have a pretty creative solution too - we need to force apple to stop being so greedy because I am pretty sure they did this on purpose so people keep paying extra money for their own cables. With Steve Jobs gone, they do all they can to stay in business. The USB ports on my less than year old Macbook Pro work, the cable works when connected to an outlet and is brand new, the phone is also brand new. Buying another apple cable fixed the problem but I do like the glowing cables so I am currently very unhappy. I am not sure if any cables other than the originals will actually work when connected to a computer - this would be a question for an apple representative to answer.

Sep 8, 2015 11:05 AM in response to Stas0k

Stas0k wrote:

I lost my original iPhone cable and bought a different one for a replacement and this is when the issue started for me. I happen to have a pretty creative solution too - we need to force apple to stop being so greedy because I am pretty sure they did this on purpose so people keep paying extra money for their own cables.

What hogwash! There are plenty of non-Apple cables that are certified to work with iPhones. The REAL reason is that the cable isn't just a cable; it has 3 microcircuits in the lightning connector. There were a number of 3rd party cables that were not certified that destroyed the iPhone when they were used. There was even one case of someone who died (electrocuted) from using a counterfeit USB adapter and counterfeit cable. Requiring a cable and adapter to be certified is to protect YOU, not to make money for Apple.

Sep 8, 2015 11:29 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Say what you will but this is not the first time I am having this problem with various non-original cables otherwise I would not have jumped to any conclusions. If you have a device other than apple you can use ANY cables with them and you won't have this problem so your reply is not appreciated. I also don't want to run around looking for an apple cable or figuring out if they are whatever-certified when I can buy a different one right across the street. This is my last apple device and I currently have four so instead of going off on me read some threads and see how many people are having the same problem before rushing to a conclusion. And saying that a cable isn't a cable is the real hogwash because I did say it charges perfectly fine from an outlet and as far as I remember it said that it works with iPhone 6 on the box and it is not some cheap fake cable either. And please provide a link to the someone getting electrocuted by an iPhone cable because that just sounds funny.

Sep 8, 2015 11:30 AM in response to Stas0k

Sometimes the truth is not appreciated. The cables you buy across the street, if they are not certified as "Made for iPhone" can destroy your phone. And if this happens Apple will not provide service for it. There are at least half a dozen manufacturers whose cables are certified, so the choice is up to you.

And other devices than Apple do not have "active" cables - that is, with electronics in the cable. Which is why this is not an issue with them. Even then, a low quality USB adapter can destroy the internals of the device.

And I read several hundred threads a day. And my reply to any of them is the same if they are about cables.

Sep 8, 2015 11:38 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

Like I said, as far as I remember it did say that it is "Made for iPhone" otherwise a 7-11 would not be selling them due to the fear of a lawsuit and they only had 1 kind of cable for iPhone 6 anyway. And you did just prove my point by saying, "And other devices than Apple do not have "active" cables" so I should actually thank you. Why not have a micro-usb like every other phone on the market? Because they are greedy.

Sep 8, 2015 11:45 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I am not sure I am following... Try to simplify your argument for me please because as far as I am concerned Androids can do everything iPhones can and their cables are compatible with more than just the phone which is a win-win and if I lose it I can buy a replacement in 5 minutes without having search for the "right" cable. iPhone is known for these kind of cheap tricks and you will not be able to convince me otherwise. They make money by making sure that Apple users will have to buy everything else from apple such as the apple store on all of your devices, iTunes for music and videos, and so on. They make sure that if you buy their device - you will buy everything else for it or on it from them.

Sep 8, 2015 12:25 PM in response to Lawrence Finch

Ok got it, thank you. However iPhone 6's battery lasts less than Galaxy S6 and is significantly weaker (2550 mAh vs 1810 mAh) so they still need to make much more room for an even bigger battery or get a different battery. Their battery also dies quicker too, may users replace them to get an extended battery life for their device after only a few months of use because their phones power off after an hour or two of use and god forbid you play games or watch videos on that Phone. Mine is brand new and it dies very quickly already (and yes I quit the process after using an application) so I guess it is another creative way to make more money. And by the way, I have never heard of an iPhone cable being more "functional" or doing something that a micro USB can't before...

iPhone 6 repeatedly connecting and disconnecting from Macbook Air?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.