Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Location way off!

I recently got myself a Macbook Pro and in the last couple of days the location services has lost it.
I live in Italy but my location is coming up as near Minneapolis, USA. I have never been near there especially with this device.
It's annoying as it's changing my date and time etc also.
Any help?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 2:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:06 AM

Location Services allows apps like Maps, services like Spotlight Suggestions, and websites in Safari to gather and use data about your computer’s current location. Your Mac determines its approximate location using information from local Wi-Fi networks. Location Services collects the information in a manner that doesn’t personally identify you.

OS X Yosemite: Location Services

The locations is based on Apple's database. It appears that your Mac is using wifi network/router that Apple's database says is in Minneapolis, USA.

Apple updates their database based on info from iPhones (they have GPS).

The iPhone has to have turned on the option to send info to Apple. No one has found another way to get the location of a router added/corrected.

You can confirm that by going to well-know place with wifi

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 3:06 AM in response to Sweetchill

Location Services allows apps like Maps, services like Spotlight Suggestions, and websites in Safari to gather and use data about your computer’s current location. Your Mac determines its approximate location using information from local Wi-Fi networks. Location Services collects the information in a manner that doesn’t personally identify you.

OS X Yosemite: Location Services

The locations is based on Apple's database. It appears that your Mac is using wifi network/router that Apple's database says is in Minneapolis, USA.

Apple updates their database based on info from iPhones (they have GPS).

The iPhone has to have turned on the option to send info to Apple. No one has found another way to get the location of a router added/corrected.

You can confirm that by going to well-know place with wifi

This is the Mac Pro desktop forum. I requested your post be moved to the MacBook Pro laptop forum.

Location way off!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.