Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

SSD TRIM Enabler on Early 2008 MBP 15" Running OS 10.10.3

I just installed a Crucial MX200 500GB SSD on my MBP early 2008, all works fine with a respectable increase in performance considering the controller limits.

My question is about installing Trim Enabler or similar software to help maintain the health of the SSD. It is running OS10.10.3 and all up to date.

What issues might I find is this recommended any alternatives?

Thanks again

Dan

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3), Spring 2008 15" Crucial MX200 SSD

Posted on May 24, 2015 2:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:29 AM

If you do a search on these forums and/or the Internet, you will find that Yosemite an Trim with non-Apple SSDs is problematic.

I suggest, based on my conversations with Crucial, make certain that the firmware is up to date and that in System Preferences>Energy Saver you have the box for 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' UNCHECKED. This will allow Crucial's garbage collection to its work.

Ciao.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 4:29 AM in response to Dpagejr

If you do a search on these forums and/or the Internet, you will find that Yosemite an Trim with non-Apple SSDs is problematic.

I suggest, based on my conversations with Crucial, make certain that the firmware is up to date and that in System Preferences>Energy Saver you have the box for 'Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible' UNCHECKED. This will allow Crucial's garbage collection to its work.

Ciao.

May 24, 2015 8:29 AM in response to OGELTHORPE

Thanks for the reply

I did see the issues related to Trim Enabler, just wondering what the current though is on using it.

If I use it should I enable it and leave it that way or leave it on long enough to do the job and turn it off for a month or so and do it again?

Everything is updated per Apple App Store. I will do as you recommend regarding energy preferences.

Would this also apply to a mid 2012 MBP also with Crucial SSD

Thanks again

Dan

May 24, 2015 11:35 AM in response to Dpagejr

Dpagejr wrote:

...I did see the issues related to Trim Enabler, just wondering what the current though is on using it.

If I use it should I enable it and leave it that way or leave it on long enough to do the job and turn it off for a month or so and do it again?...

This link gives you the current thought. I'm also using a Crucial SSD and I think TRIM is important enough to use full time, but I'm avoiding Yosemite in order to do that. As you can see from the discussion in the link, it's possible to use TRIM Enabler and Yosemite, but there are risks involved and conscientious preventive action is necessary.

SSD TRIM Enabler on Early 2008 MBP 15" Running OS 10.10.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.