Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Airport Extreme - No Internet Connection / No DNS Servers

Hi everyone

I decided to switch from a default ISP's router to an Airport Extreme to have a better coverage in my flat. I've bought a new device yesterday and tried to set up a connection as per Apple’s manual. I’ve connected my modem directly to the Airport Extreme and now having the following errors in AiPort Utility:

- No Internet Connection

- No DNS Servers

I can also see a flashing amber light on my Airport Extreme.

Any ideas on how I can set up a connection between an Airport Extreme and modem? I've tried quite a few things (incl. powering down all devices and turning them back in 10-15 minutes) and since it's a brand new device I don't think reset will help as well (I've tried this thing anyway though).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Sasha

MacBook Air, Mac OS X (10.7.4)

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:59 AM

10 replies

May 24, 2015 8:18 AM in response to emodsasha

Sorry, but I am not familiar with fibre connections. But, I can say that the Apple routers.....the AirPort Extreme, AirPort Time Capsule, etc.....have been designed to work with cable and DSL type connections.

We have seen a number of reports from users who are indicating that they cannot connect their Apple router to a fibre modem.....and they must use the router provided by the fibre company, and then connect the Apple router to the fibre router.

Hopefully, another user who is familiar with your modem will be able to tell us whether it is possible to connect an Apple router directly to the modem, or whether the fibre router must also be used with the Apple router.

May 24, 2015 10:06 AM in response to emodsasha

I suggest that you start a new post.....and include information about using a fibre modem in the title of the post.....to attract the attention of users who are familiar with using a fibre modem.

I doubt that very many users will see the information about a fibre modem buried deep in your post.

A post title something like......"How to connect AirPort Extreme directly to fibre modem?"......then include the model number of the modem etc. in the post.

Good luck!

May 24, 2015 12:12 PM in response to jjkraw

I think you may have meant to respond to emodsasha.

The fibre "modem" appears to be router. And, I doubt that it can be removed from the fibre setup since the real "modem" may be another device.....usually called an ONT by the fibre providers. Most fibre providers that I have seen make it extremely difficult to next to impossible to connect an AirPort directly to the ONT, since they want you to use their equipment.....and the ONT and router use proprietary settings between them.

Airport Extreme - No Internet Connection / No DNS Servers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.