Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Seeking Media Organization Advice...

Hello!

I am pretty new to FCP having recently edited a 3 camera stage production - very successfully thanks to help from Tom and others. Anyway, I now have great plans to gather and finally edit home videos for the last few years and I wanted some advice on organizing the collection for easy access. When I did this in the past with iMovie and iDVD I made 2-3 discs per year / organized by month such as "March - June 2005" and that type of formatting (organizing by year) works best for the way I think.

As I understand it, Libraries can be opened and closed at will - I had originally thought of making one huge library (as I have done in iPhoto) but it looks like I should perhaps have a Library for each year and then Events within the library organized by the month or special events, with separate Libraries for big projects like editing a stage production.

I'm seeking input just to make sure this makes sense and to get recommendations form experts on what they have done. I've found that it is much easier to head down the correct path early on rather than changing course later in this type of situation!

I would also be interested in how people are organizing old video - I have many years worth of fully edited DV video which I saved in that format (while also exporting to lower-quality DVDs) - and eventual plan is to reformat this into something to export into iTunes; hopefully Apple TV will become an even better gateway to get that content to our main TV.

Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice - I think getting input like this is one of the greatest advantages of Apple products!

Bob

MacBook Pro (15-inch Early 2011), OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), iMac 2.7/12GB/2TB; Canon 5Dm3

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:38 AM

Robert Stone wrote:

I had originally thought of making one huge library (as I have done in iPhoto) but it looks like I should perhaps have a Library for each year and then Events within the library organized by the month or special events, with separate Libraries for big projects like editing a stage production.

I think you're on the right track is this regard. Final Cut offers so much in the way of organizational strengths, it makes sense to take advantage of them. If you don't need to access media across libraries, follow the route you describe – or something similar. Keeping libraries manageable in size will not only help organization of your content, it will also enhance performance. As libraries get very large and are loaded in the application, performance starts to decline.

Consider using external media folders for your libraries, rather than copying media to the library, For many people – for example those who don't need to work on the same projects at home and at work – storing media files externally works well. This saves space and, again, helps performance,

As for "old video" (family movies), keeping them in the iTunes and accessing them via ATV seems like a good solution.

Good luck.

Russ

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 6:38 AM in response to Robert Stone

Robert Stone wrote:

I had originally thought of making one huge library (as I have done in iPhoto) but it looks like I should perhaps have a Library for each year and then Events within the library organized by the month or special events, with separate Libraries for big projects like editing a stage production.

I think you're on the right track is this regard. Final Cut offers so much in the way of organizational strengths, it makes sense to take advantage of them. If you don't need to access media across libraries, follow the route you describe – or something similar. Keeping libraries manageable in size will not only help organization of your content, it will also enhance performance. As libraries get very large and are loaded in the application, performance starts to decline.

Consider using external media folders for your libraries, rather than copying media to the library, For many people – for example those who don't need to work on the same projects at home and at work – storing media files externally works well. This saves space and, again, helps performance,

As for "old video" (family movies), keeping them in the iTunes and accessing them via ATV seems like a good solution.

Good luck.

Russ

Seeking Media Organization Advice...

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.