Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Best way to upgrade and keep the files and applications?

I would like to keep the files on the Imac and also the applications (all which is already installed in 10.5.8).

I have the original bought dvd for Snow Leopard.

Any procedure which is good now before doing the upgrade accept performing a backup?

Which option to chose when installing Snow Leopard /when I want to just overwrite the OS not the other files and apps)?

Are there any potential downside to keep the original apps except that I have to upgrade them ?

I have heard that it is best to wipe the hd clean before doing OS updates but that is a lot of work.

Can people here verify that it is not necessary to wipe the hd beforre upgrading the OS?

Imac 24 inch lcd, Intel 4GB ram, 2,8GHZ AND:, Mac OS X (10.5.8), Macbook Pro 2.4 Ghz Intel Duo, 4GB Ram and External Esatadrives

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:25 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2015 10:19 AM in response to Norwegian_Macfan68

Agree with 71, but I would Repair the Disk first, before starting...

"Try Disk Utility

1. Insert the Mac OS X 10.6 Install disc, then restart the computer while holding the C key.

2. When your computer finishes starting up from the disc, choose Disk Utility from the Installer menu at top of the screen. (In Mac OS X 10.4 or later, you must select your language first.)

*Important: Do not click Continue in the first screen of the Installer. If you do, you must restart from the disc again to access Disk Utility.*

3. Click the First Aid tab.

4. Select your Mac OS X volume.

5. Click Repair Disk, (not Repair Permissions). Disk Utility checks and repairs the disk."

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=106214

Then try a Safe Boot, (holding Shift key down at bootup), run Disk Utility in Applications>Utilities, then highlight your drive, click on Repair Permissions, reboot when it completes.

(Safe boot may stay on the gray radian for a long time, let it go, it's trying to repair the Hard Drive & clear caches.)

Best way to upgrade and keep the files and applications?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.