Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

...the right way ahead to update 10.3.9 to Tiger?

Hi again guys..

My problem is (or...has been..?) that my iMac G3 600 PPC is now running 10.3.9 happily but I want to get it up to 10.4.11 which works so well on its sister Pismo which I have had for years. I cant find the 10.4 disks that I must have had rto update that one, but I have been trying to find an acceptable version of 10.4 and then to work out what I need to do to get 10.4 going on the iMac?

I think I am nearly there! ;-)

I have a legit copy of MacOSX10.4.Universal.pkg ......from my 10.5 system update disks! (bought years ago to bring a later Mac up to date.

I have downloaded the combo update from Apple Support pages to take that to 10.4.11 which is precisely where I am hoping to get.

In view of the non bootability of USB on 10.3 PPC iMacs - I have cleared a FW ext disk and am ready to set it up to act as the transport of 10.4 to 10.3.9.

Q. I believe I need to down load an Installer programme from Apple Support. Not sure which one but I will be looking, shortly.

Q. Do I need to use Disk Utility to set up the FW disk in some way or do I need to set up the downloaded version of the installer or of 10.4 Universal?

Advice please?

Thanks

Colin

Cambs UK

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10), iMac + iPod + iPhone 4s 8.1+ Pismo +Time Capsule

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:16 AM

6 replies

May 24, 2015 10:13 AM in response to ColinY

Hi Colin,

I have a legit copy of MacOSX10.4.Universal.pkg ......from my 10.5 system update disks!

Can you describe that further, I've never heard of that?

Q. I believe I need to down load an Installer programme from Apple Support.

Have you tried just running the .PKG on the 10.3 iMac?

Q. Do I need to use Disk Utility to set up the FW disk in some way or...

What would be best is if you could clone or Install 10.4 on the drive first.

May 25, 2015 9:36 AM in response to BDAqua

BD

I have a set of 10.5 install Disks from one of my previous Macs - the G4 iMac (still to get to ;-) ) perhaps!

On one of them are pkg files for 10.3. and 10.4 and 10.5

I downloaded the 10.4 file in the hope! I have the combo update for 10.4 to 10.4.11 which is my real destination with this iMac. Ihave ordered 1Gb of memory!

Clicking and double clicking does nothing :-(

I put it on a FW Disk and added Installer 1.4.4 and still get very little further - some sub window saying it cant find a Bill of contents...?

Colin

May 25, 2015 10:33 AM in response to ColinY

I have a set of 10.5 install Disks from one of my previous Macs - the G4 iMac (still to get to ;-) ) perhaps!

Maybe, if you use the G4 iMac to install 10.4 to the Firewire Disc first & boot the G3 from the FW drive, but Gray Discs are machine specific, though some work on other Macs released at the same time.

...the right way ahead to update 10.3.9 to Tiger?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.