Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

What is the actual purpose of My Photo Stream?

Hey guys,

In my Camera Roll i have about 2,500 images and in My Photo Stream i have significantly less (600). I need to make space on my iPhone 6 as it is running out 😊. If i delete the photo's in my photo stream & lets just say I lose my phone and get another one and restore it using iCloud, will my 2,500 Camera Roll images come up or will only those that weren't on my photo stream come up?

Basically:

• What is the actual purpose of My Photo Steam? I have a MacPro Early2015 but I don't upload pics on it because i don't know how and *** is iPhoto? haha
  • Is it a good idea to delete the photo stream photo's on my phone because they are wasting my space or not?
  • If yes, will this impact the restoration of ALL my Camera Roll images on my phone if i were to lose it?

Thank you.

iPhone 6, iOS 8.2

Posted on May 24, 2015 3:48 AM

2 replies

May 24, 2015 5:14 AM in response to Itsjustmaii

PPhoto stream is nothing more than temporary cloud storage to allow you to take a photo on one device and sync it to others. Photo stream is NOT a backup, nor is it permanent storage of your photos. It is a sync service to share photos between devices. Anything in the stream is only kept there for 30 days. After that, if you have not kept a copy stored somewhere else, it is gone for good.

if you want to keep your photos, you need to keep a copy somewhere as they will disappear from the stream automatically after they've been there 30 days.

What is the actual purpose of My Photo Stream?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.