Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

can't get past grey startup screen

My wife's Macbook pro 13 (Late 2012) can't get past grey startup screen. It began when the computer became very slow the other night and she tried to reboot. First it rebooted and went past the grey screen and became a black screen, with the mouse pointer visible. We force shut it down and started again. Same thing. By the third or fourth reboot it didn't get past the grey screen. Then I tried starting by holding down CMD - R to get to the repair menu. I checked the disc but it turned out fine. I've tried to reinstall OS X 2 times, but when the installation is complete it gets stuck when the status bar is in the middle (see pictures) and then the "rolling ball of death" appears.

User uploaded file

User uploaded file

I've left it like this for several hours but it remains the same. I tried extracting files from the hard drive using a firewire cable and starting up holding "T" down. The disc shows up as it should on my other Mac but some files can't be copied, it says error code -36. What could be wrong? The hard drive or is it the memory modules?

Regards, Mike

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:35 AM

There are no replies.

can't get past grey startup screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.