Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

External drive now not connecting

Since upgrading to OS X as few weeks ago I cannot connect my external hard drive (Maxtor 320GB). Error message "Disk Not Ejected Properly" - so I can no longer backup using Time Machine. Found loads of posts on the web for this but nothing clear to resolve. Last post I read was referring to "spotlight" ??

Can anyone advise - note: I'm fairly new to MAC's!!

Mac mini, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 8:13 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2015 8:27 AM in response to haymps2

Which make and model (USB, FireWire, portable, desktop and so on) is your Maxtor external hard drive...?

Most times that problem is caused a bad cable or a weak cable connection, but it could also be caused by a failing hard drive or a failed control chip in the enclosure itself.

What I would probably do is get another good quality external hard drive to start a new set of TM backups on. Then go back and try to sort out the problem(s) with the old backup drive.

May 24, 2015 8:33 AM in response to den.thed

Maxtor Basics Portable Storage (PN-9KM2DG-500). Probably 4-5 years old. Had been used as a backup drive for a PC. I had (about 1 year ago) re-formatted and started to backup via TM with no problems. Then I upgrade to the latest version of OS X.......

When the Maxtor cables are connected (to switch no the drive) the HD disk is temporarily displayed on the desktop. Temporarily I can see backup files. Temporarily the TM backup starts. I guess it could be the leads (cables).

External drive now not connecting

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.