Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Photos App - Events and Organizing Photos and Pictures

Hello, I would like to know how to use the new Photos App just like my old iPhoto App - How do you create events, and group pictures and photos into events? I am using my iMac desktop.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.2), Epson Perfection 4490 Photo Scanner

Posted on May 24, 2015 4:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:07 AM

You can't. It's a new app and works differently.

You can, however, do all you want with Albums, just like iPhoto.

10 replies

May 24, 2015 6:36 AM in response to Yer_Man

Thank you Terence, this helps! As long as my old iPhoto doesn't disappear I'm good. Somehow I though the new Photos app was to replace iPhoto. I have another question - Now when I want to save an image from the internet, it goes straight to the new Photos app - Is there a way to get the image to go back to iPhoto instead of Photos? Do I have to do an extra step by importing to iPhoto from the Photos App?

May 24, 2015 8:33 AM in response to Yer_Man

Hi Terence, with the Photos app closed, and the iPhoto app open, here are the options I get when I right-click on an image from the internet using Safari: Open in Dashboard / Save Image to downloads / Save image as / Add image to Photos / Use Image as Desktop Picture / Copy image address / Copy image........ There used to be an option "add image to iPhoto Library" and it's gone..... With these 7 options, what would you do to get the image right into iPhoto? I guess I could save image to downloads, then drag it to iPhoto -

May 24, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Lommarti

Moments in Photos are the new Events, i.e. groupings of photos sorted by date taken.

When the iPhoto Library was first migrated to Photos there was a folder created in the sidebar titled iPhoto Events and all migrated iPhoto Events (which are now Moments) are represented by an album in that folder. To open the sidebar if it's not already open use the Option+Command+S key combination.

There's a way to simulate events in Photos.

When new photos are imported into the Photos library go to the Last Import smart album, select all the photos and use the File New Album menu option or use the key combination Command+N. Name it as desired. It will appear just above the iPhoto Events folder where you can drag it into the iPhoto Events folder

When you click on the iPhoto Events folder you'll get a simulated iPhoto Events window.

The downside to the simulation is that the Albums/Events can only be sorted automatically by Title. But they can also be sorted manually, either in the sidebar or in the folder's window at the right.

Ask Apple for more sorting options in Photos via https://www.apple.com/feedback/photos.html.

User uploaded file

May 25, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Lommarti

I get essentially the same options as you do, & opening iPhoto has no effect -- there is no "Add image to iPhoto," just the add to Photos one.

The simplest, most straightforward way I have found to add an image from the web to iPhoto is to drag it onto the iPhoto icon on the Dock. Dragging it into that app's window does not seem to work, no matter what album, event, or whatever window is showing. The Dock drag & drop puts the image in Last Import, making it easy to find (as long as no other later file is imported, of course).

Aug 6, 2015 7:42 AM in response to Old Toad

Yes. When I use my Mac for work, i'm not importing photos from a device but rather from a browser's Google image search. All my photos were imported to iPhoto before Mavericks migrated my photo library from iPhoto to Photos. That said, I stopped using iPhoto and just started using Photos. I realize that my iPhotos.app is still in my applications folder (and it's quite large in size). When I go back into iPhoto it reminds me that my photos have been imported into Photos and asks if I still want to launch iPhoto or Photos instead.

User uploaded file

I'm curious what benefits each app has?

Note: I wish Chrome browser had the same "Add Image to Photos" menu item that Safari has.

User uploaded file

Aug 6, 2015 9:52 AM in response to JustABlobOfAtoms

Photos is missing some of the organizational features that iPhoto has, i.e. sorting by date or title, ascending or descending, events (which can be simulated as posted above), batch renaming of titles (which can be worked around with the
Applescripts in the Photos User Tips section) and ability to edit or add locations.

Many of these short comings will be corrected in Photos V2 when it is released with El Capitan this fall.

You can still use iPhoto 9.6.1 until the time comes when it is not compatible with the system. At that time you can convert it over to a Photos library and by that time Photos should be closer to iPhoto in features.

You might want to reconsider using Chrome as your browser after reading this: Google Chrome Listening In To Your Room Shows The Importance Of Privacy Defense In Depth.

Google is known to "phone home" with users data as was found out with this new Google Photos service: Google Photos may be free — but there's still a cost.

Just some food for thought.

New Photos App - Events and Organizing Photos and Pictures

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.