Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I duplicate or copy/paste a title to reuse over and over without changing all.

I built a lower third graphic to use for several different people. When I copy/paste or duplicate, any changes I make to one applies to all of the others.

In other words, I build a nice lower third graphic with backgrounds and such. It looks great. I don't want to have to rebuild it every time I change the name. How do I create a template. I'm really confused as to why this would be? I'm sure there is an easy way to do this but I can't seem to find it. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

iMac (27-inch Mid 2011), Mac OS X (10.7.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 7:33 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 9, 2017 5:43 AM

Ok so there is an easy way to do this.

Once you have created your first lower third as a pre-composed clip it will appear as an asset in your Library within FCPX. (Your library is the quadrant of the screen that contains all your projects and clips).

Working from the library you need to highlight the pre-composed clip and from the Edit drop down menu select Duplicate (or Command+D).

This will duplicate your pre-composed lower third at source. It is a good idea to rename your new clip. You can now drag and drop this new pre-composed clip into your timeline. Repeat the process every time you wish to create a new and different lower third.

Job done.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 9, 2017 5:43 AM in response to FriendlyDan

Ok so there is an easy way to do this.

Once you have created your first lower third as a pre-composed clip it will appear as an asset in your Library within FCPX. (Your library is the quadrant of the screen that contains all your projects and clips).

Working from the library you need to highlight the pre-composed clip and from the Edit drop down menu select Duplicate (or Command+D).

This will duplicate your pre-composed lower third at source. It is a good idea to rename your new clip. You can now drag and drop this new pre-composed clip into your timeline. Repeat the process every time you wish to create a new and different lower third.

Job done.

May 24, 2015 8:27 AM in response to Tom Wolsky

Thanks for your response. I've tried two things.

I have a project with several interviews. I applied the lower third text and a color background for it. Also, the client's branded font. I linked them as a compound clip. Then, I copied the the compound clip and pasted it on the following interview. I changed the name but when I went back to the first interview, it's name had changed as well.

On a different project, I had several standalone testimonials, all with the same look. I created a project with open/close gfx, lowers, effects, etc. Then I tried to copy the project and "replace from the start" the new testimonial. Efficient right? Something I did all the time with fcp 7.

There must be an easy way to do this!

note: I am a reluctant convert to fcpx. New cameras and codecs gave me no choice. 🙂

May 24, 2015 8:42 AM in response to FriendlyDan

I linked them as a compound clip.

Compound clips are recursive. They are like nested sequences. Changes made in one ripple through to all instances of the compound. That's why the compound is in the browser. When you copy and paste the compound you have to make a new parent from the Clip menu so you don't effect other instances of compound. Or you can duplicate the compound in the browser and open the duplicate.

I don't know what the following paragraph means. It sounds as if you're trying to copy a project from the browser and paste it into another project. That's what compound clips are for, and like nested clips in legacy FCP they are recursive and any change in one changes all copies.

How do I duplicate or copy/paste a title to reuse over and over without changing all.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.