Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

[New to MacBook Pro] How do I remove all the files showing in the bar (sidebar?) on the bottom of my screen

Dear Apple Professionals,

I am fairly new to the Macbook interface.

I am currently operating OS X Yosemite and have had a few problem with a clustered bar to the bottom of my screen.

Everytime I open a new document, it shows in a window in the bar. However, even when i close the window, it continues to be displayed. Since I do a lot of research work on my Mac, the bar will get clustered quite easily, with documents still being shown there.

Is there a way to remove the files from showing in the bar?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

Marcus

MacBook Pro, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 6:06 AM

5 replies

May 24, 2015 5:47 PM in response to Marcus Aurelius 111

Hi,

That's the dock. What app are you using for these files?

As a start, try removing the Dock .plist. In Finder, select Go while holding down the Option key and go to Library. Go to Preferences and delete com.apple.dock.plist. Restart the computer.

You can also repair permission of your startup disk. About Disk Utility's Repair Disk Permissions feature - Apple Support

To remove items from the Dock, Control click on the item and in Options, choose Remove from Dock.

If nothing else works, try resetting the SMC. Resetting the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

May 25, 2015 5:39 AM in response to Marcus Aurelius 111

Thank you guys for your help! I have found the problem! I was using bettertouch tool for my interactions and gestures, and when i thought i was closing windows and tabs everytime i did the 3 finger swipe down, it turns out I was in fact just minimizing the windows to the dock. I have now fixed this problem in Bettertouch and everything works fine!

I very much appreciate your help!

[New to MacBook Pro] How do I remove all the files showing in the bar (sidebar?) on the bottom of my screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.