Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

external speakers are no longer detected

My external speakers are no longer detected. The output options only show the internal speakers. If I pull the plug out slowly, it makes a feedback noise, which makes me think the speakers are working, but not the internal computer plug or detection system? Thoughts?

Posted on May 24, 2015 9:00 AM

1 reply

May 26, 2015 8:47 AM in response to Llflywt

Hi Llflywt,

Welcome to the Apple Support Communities!

I understand that your external speakers are no longer functioning as you would expect. In this situation, I would recommend reading over the attached article for information on troubleshooting this issue.

OS X Yosemite: If you can’t hear sound from your speakers

If you’re trying to listen through external speakers

Make sure the speakers are plugged into the audio out port (the audio port User uploaded file, if your computer has only one audio port) on your computer or computer’s display, and if necessary, into a power supply. Check for a power switch and volume adjustment on your external speakers. If necessary, turn the speakers on and adjust the speaker volume.

Choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sound, then click Output. If your computer has only one audio port, choose Sound Output from the “Use audio port for” menu, then make sure your external speakers are selected.

If you’re trying to listen through speakers or headphones connected only to the USB port on your computer or computer’s display, choose Apple menu > System Preferences, click Sound, then click Output. Make sure the external USB speakers are selected. Open System Information, then make sure you see your speakers listed.

If your external speakers still aren’t working, check the information that came with your speakers.

Best regards,

Joe

external speakers are no longer detected

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.