Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why does my lightning cable work to charge my iPhone but not my iPad? Tried it on my husband's iPad and it doesn't charge it either.

Why does my lightning cable work to charge my iPhone but not my iPad? Tried it on my husband's iPad and it doesn't charge it either.

iPad, iOS 5.1.1

Posted on May 24, 2015 8:19 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 20, 2017 11:11 AM

Hi. No, it should not work. Your computer ports only supply 0.5 A, if that. Your 12 Watt iPad charger supplies 2.4 A, almost 5 times the current. iOS 10 is more particular about letting you know if the charger is supplying more current than the iPad is using, so it may say "not charging". Your device will still charge, slowly, if you sleep it while connected to the computer port.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 20, 2017 11:11 AM in response to odysseus

Hi. No, it should not work. Your computer ports only supply 0.5 A, if that. Your 12 Watt iPad charger supplies 2.4 A, almost 5 times the current. iOS 10 is more particular about letting you know if the charger is supplying more current than the iPad is using, so it may say "not charging". Your device will still charge, slowly, if you sleep it while connected to the computer port.

Oct 3, 2017 5:30 AM in response to Bethepete

I doubt Beth still has the question, but it looks like many others do. So...

Many 3rd party lightning cables, especially those longer than 3’, will not carry enough power to charge an iPad regardless of the power supply used. They will charge your iPhone, as that requires less power.

If you’re using the original Apple Lightning cable that came with your iPad, and it’s not working with the proper power supply, then there is likely and issue with your iPad. However, if you’re using a 3rd party cable or a long cable, that’s the best bet as to the issue.

May 24, 2015 4:20 PM in response to Bethepete

Hi Bethepete,

TThe iPad requires more power to charge it than the iPhone's, so can you tell me what you are plugging the USB end of the cable in to? Most computer's USB ports do not have enough power to charge an iPad, but will charge the iPhone just fine. If you're using one of the white blocks that came with the products, make sure your using the one that came with iPad. It's ok to use the iPad charger with the iPhone.

Hope ope this helps.

Steve

May 25, 2015 2:15 PM in response to Bethepete

It sounds strange indeed. Try a reset on your iPad. Press and hold both the home and power buttons until the Apple logo apears. Release both buttons. Wait until the iPad starts on it's own. If that doesn't work to rule out the charger or iPad can you use the iPhone cable with the iPad charger ? If it still doesn't work bring your iPad, iPhone, charger and cable to the Apple Store and let them check out everything

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.