Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How can I free space from my iPhone 5?

Hi. I have an iPhone 5 and I need to free space from it now. Problem is, there is nothing really to delete, nor what I haves can equal to the many GBs taken: the highest is photos, and that's 200+MB, that's it. I tried to delete things that came with the phone that I won't be using, but that didn't work. The only app I have is instagram, and that doesn't really break the GB bank. I'm at a lost and I don't know what to do. I've tried the steps, from setting the photos to HDR only, deleting messages and voicemails; have not done anything in videos, books, etc., and I got enough else. I have no clue as to what's taking the space, nor why I cannot free space. Is there anyone who can help?

iPhone 5c

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:15 PM

10 replies

May 28, 2015 11:00 AM in response to BinkerNate

Let me give you some tips/instructions to get space and claim storage

1-)Install iTunes on your computer, afterwards go into the "Windows Explorer" (where you saw that it stated 11.3Mb left out of 7.xxGb) and go into the files from the phone (by double clicking on the drive) and "copy" your photos from the phone to a folder in your computer. Afterwards, go into you phone and delete all your pictures. Remember after you delete a picture, those photos remain on the phone in a different album called "Recently Deleted". Erase it from there too.

2-) Check which iOS version you have. If you have below iOS 8.3, you might have downloaded the software without installing it. Go into Setting -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage (the first one) and see if "iOS 8.3" is in there. If it is, then go back to "General" in Setting and tap "Software Update" and follow on-screen instructions to install the update.

3-) If the above doesn't let you take pictures, try restoring your phone using iTunes. Since this option wil DELETE YOUR DATA, remember to back up important data on iCloud (and no, iCloud is separate from your phone company bill. Whatever you have in there, other people won't see it unless they know your Apple ID password). Also backup via iTunes.

Please try these and let me know if you have more storage left afterwards.

May 28, 2015 11:56 AM in response to KingReyes13

iTunes is dl-ed and ready to go. I did delete the photos, and checked which iOS I have and its 8.0. I cannot get 8.3 because there is no room on the phone, no surprise. Now, I want to use the "Restore iPhone" option on my iPhone page on iTunes, and yes the iCloud backup is located below, but I wanted to ask for important info to learn: if I didn't backup and instead hit the delete button, what exactly would it delete? Stupid question, but so I'll know

May 28, 2015 1:59 PM in response to BinkerNate

UPDATE 5/28/15 4:58PM EST:

My phone was restore and my storage is up to 4.5GBs. Yahoo!

From what I gathered, there was a crap ton of "other" that made up of 4.7GB, and reading about them online, it looked like corrupted data.

Now that my phone is back, all I have to do is get some/all of my photos back, and I'm good 😉

Thanks guys for all of your help, I really needed it. 😀

How can I free space from my iPhone 5?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.