Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Stopping space bar from sending e-mail

My computer is 10.9.5. (I'm afraid that's how I know it, not by its animal name, so hope I'm in the right place. The little apple top left corner only gives me that info. Wish it also gave the OS's "animal name" for situations like this.)

Mine's a simple question and concerns Mail.

When I click send and a spell-check is going on I sometime see a further change I want to make. Let's say I want to add two words. If I do, as soon as I hit the space bar to start the second word the e-mail gets sent.

So, is there any way I can prevent hitting the space from acting as if it's a confirmation that the e-mail is now ready to send?

This wasn't a problem I faced with earlier versions of the OS.

p.s. It will be of little consolation to hear that I should have made all my changes before hitting send and the spell-check starting. Sometimes I only notice things that need editing at this stage of the process.

Thanks.

Posted on May 24, 2015 9:10 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 25, 2015 7:32 PM

That shouldn't happen, unless you set up another program, such as Dictation to convert command shift-D to be imitated by the spacebar. Command-shift-D is the command to send a message. One way to prevent it from sending, is not to insert a recipient until you are done editing the message, or insert the recipient into the message body, and then cut/paste it into the To field when done editing. Nothing can send unless a recipient is specified.

By the way, Apple stopped using animal names with the advent of Mavericks.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 25, 2015 7:32 PM in response to Canada John

That shouldn't happen, unless you set up another program, such as Dictation to convert command shift-D to be imitated by the spacebar. Command-shift-D is the command to send a message. One way to prevent it from sending, is not to insert a recipient until you are done editing the message, or insert the recipient into the message body, and then cut/paste it into the To field when done editing. Nothing can send unless a recipient is specified.

By the way, Apple stopped using animal names with the advent of Mavericks.

May 26, 2015 9:19 AM in response to a brody

Hi.

Thanks for the reply but I'm afraid it's still a mystery, as I've made no conversions to shift-D. The only key-stroke instruction I've created is command-M to initiate voice reading of text I've highlighted.

On another point. I must admit I rather prefer my older OS for more reasons. Not only did this problem with e-mail not occur, but now, annoyingly, the scroll bar does not appear/activate until you click your mouse on it and then you have to "hunt' for its little icon in order to begin scrolling. In my previous OS that scroll bar and it's icon remained active. That meant I always knew where I was in the document and that scrolling only meant moving the mouse to the scroll bar's icon. A small point but i just can't figure why Apple would have made this change.

Thanks again.

John

Stopping space bar from sending e-mail

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.