Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Let new MacBook Pro battery die out before charging?

Hi, I have an early-2011 model MacBook Pro laptop and after four years the battery is on its last legs. I bought a replacement for it and I’m going to install it, but I was wondering when I put the new one in should I completely let the battery die out the first time I use it and then recharge it? Essentially do the recalibration process with the new battery.

I asked the shop I bought it from, but the guy gave me a very non-committal yes (he didn't look like he knew and just gave an answer to avoid saying I don't know) so I thought I’d get a few more opinions before doing so.

Thanks!

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on May 24, 2015 10:14 AM

5 replies

May 24, 2015 11:00 AM in response to Gregorich1

Assuming it is a genuine Apple battery and not one of the many counterfeits floating about, don't run it to empty. An Apple battery ships at about 50 percent charge, the optimum level for safe storage. Once you get it installed, attached the charger and start using the computer.

Because of well-founded concerns over counterfeit batteries with Apple markings, the first thing you need to do when you get the new battery installed is to check its data. In OS10.10, click on the Apple menu, then press the OPTION key. The first thing in the Apple menu, normally "About this Mac.." will change to "System Information." Launch that.

Once SI is open, find "Power in the left-hand contents pane and click it. You will get a screen like this:

User uploaded file

First note the battery's serial number (topmost line). A lot of counterfeit batteries have the same bogus serial number--0123456789ABC. If you see that, return the battery and get your money back, then have Apple install a new battery.

Also look at the items I've outlined in red in the above image. For a new battery the cycle count should be no more than 2. If the values for Charge Remaining and Full Charge Capacity have five digits--not four--starting with a 6 (like 62354) the battery is defective.

May 24, 2015 11:17 AM in response to Allan Jones

Awesome! Thanks, Allan. So basically just treat it as status quo. Pop the new battery in and use as I would any other day.

Also, that's great information about the possibility of a counterfeit battery. I really appreciate the additional information and what to look for. That'll be the first thing I look at after I install it tonight.

On a semi-related note, how often should I calibrate the battery once it's installed? In the past Apple store employees have told me once every 30 to 60 days, but I've never asked if a new battery is different in the first year (just as an example for a timeline) of use.

May 24, 2015 3:12 PM in response to Gregorich1

The need to calibrate batteries disappeared when Apple moved to batteries that are not supposed to be user-serviceable, like yours. Calibration only applied to notebooks were designed so a battery could be popped out in seconds, like the old silver-keyboard MacBook Pros. Apple has even taken calibration instructions from their knowlege base articles. Old links that used to discuss calibration now redirect to this article that does not address calibration:

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Apple will not sell you a battery for your computer as a service part; rather they charge a flat fee that included in-store installation. That policy created a market for "replacement" batteries and also an opportunity for counterfeiters. That is the reason for my concern about yours as it does not appear to have come from Apple. The percentage of defective counterfeit batteries to working ones from more trusted sources is high. If the new battery--working or not--is in Apple packaging, it's very likely a counterfeit.

May 25, 2015 8:57 AM in response to Allan Jones

Thanks again for your help, Allan!

I installed the new battery last night and it’s working fine. It’s got a great battery life and passed all the tests you gave in your first response. It came shipped at 56%, so I went in to the system information to check everything else. It didn’t have a bogus serial number like the 0123456789ABC you mentioned and the cycle count was at 0. The charge capacity and charge remaining were both only four digits.

Just in case, I took a screenshot of the previous battery’s information and did the same with the new one. Everything was similar and nothing out of the norm, in my opinion.

I’m a little concerned about the possibility of a counterfeit you mentioned, so is there anything else you think I should be looking for?

Let new MacBook Pro battery die out before charging?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.