Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Make one cell a percentage of another

I have a sales spreadsheet, and I'd like to have one column be items for which there's a 10% commission ("A" items), and another column be for items with a 12.5% commission ("B" items) ... then two more columns that automatically compute those commissions.

So I want to create a formula in a third column ("A" commissions) that says if there's a number in the cell to my left in the "A items" column, multiple it by 10% and enter the result here.

And a formula in another column that says if there's a number in the "B items" column to my left, multiply by 15% and enter that number here.

So it'll look like this, but instead of my entering the commission totals manually, they'll be entered automatically.

User uploaded file

Can't figure out how to do that.

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 11:04 AM

4 replies

May 24, 2015 11:53 AM in response to Roger Barre

You could try something like this:

User uploaded file

The formula in C2, copied down the column: =IF(A2<>"",A2*10%,"")

The formula in D2, copied down that column: =IF(B3<>"",B3*15%,"")

The if checks to see if there is a value in the cell in column. If there is the result, it displays results. If not the "" tells it to display a blank.

SG

May 24, 2015 2:03 PM in response to Roger Barre

Roger Barre wrote:

I don't want to have to enter a formula for each cell. I'd like to have one formula for the whole commission column. How do I do that?

In my example, you enter the first formula in C2. Enter the second in D2. Then select the two cells and drag the little yellow handle down to copy the formulas into to the cells below:

User uploaded file

On your sheet the commission columns may be D and E (or whatever). But the approach is exactly the same.

SG

Make one cell a percentage of another

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.