Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why won't my iPad turn on?HELP

im in serious need of help here!!

okay so, basically I broke my charger and my iPad ran out of battery before I got a new one. The battery was dead for about a day before I could get a new (non apple ) charger, when I plugged in the new charger my iPad didn't show it was charging and when I help down the sleep/wake button or the home button it didn't show the out of battery sign. It's completely un responsive. Ive tried everything, ive tried holding the sleep/wake and home button down for over 30 secs, ive tried plugging it into iTunes, but when I plug it into itunes it doesn't come up there either?i also left it on charge throughout the whole night and nothing happened, All I ever see is a blank black screen, it's completely unresponsive.

Is there an easy fix? Do I just need to buy an apple charger? Or do I need to go and get it serviced?or has my iPad well and truly died on me?

please help, many thanks

iPad

Posted on May 24, 2015 9:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 10:25 AM

How many times have you "tried holding the sleep/wake and home button down for over 30 secs"? This is a device reset. Just make sure you're doing it properly as follows:

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

You may also need to do it more than once...try a few times. Also know that doing a device reset will do absolutely nothing if the battery is totally dead.

If you got no indication that the battery was charging, even after having it plugged in overnight, then I'd suspect that the charger you used was not actually charging the device. It could be that the battery is dead beyond even being able to show the message that the battery needs to be charged and the charger you're using is either not working properly of is not meant to charge an iPad. iPad chargers are typically rated between 10-12 watts. If the charger you're trying to use is meant for an iPhone (5 watts), then it's not capable of properly charging an iPad. The cable you're using may also be defective.

Also, check the charging port at the bottom of the iPad and make sure that there is no lint/dust/etc inside. Anything in the port that will cause the contacts between the cable and the contacts inside of the port to not make proper contact will prevent the battery from charging. If you find dust/lint inside, remove it with a clean brush...a clean toothbrush along with blowing it out with your breath will work fine.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, it may be worth a visit to the Genius Bar so they can sort out the issue. They can use a qualified charger on the device to see if it's the charger...and also do some diagnostics to test the battery, etc. Take all of what you're trying to use to charge the iPad with you to your reservation. Also note that ou'll need your Apple ID to make a Genius Bar reservation:

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 10:25 AM in response to emilym123

How many times have you "tried holding the sleep/wake and home button down for over 30 secs"? This is a device reset. Just make sure you're doing it properly as follows:

Device Reset (won't affect settings/data/music/apps/etc)

1. Press and hold (& continue to hold) BOTH the Sleep/Wake button & the Home button.

2. Continue to hold BOTH (ignoring any other messages that may show) until you see the Apple logo on the screen.

3. Release BOTH buttons when you see the Apple logo and allow the device to boot normally.

You may also need to do it more than once...try a few times. Also know that doing a device reset will do absolutely nothing if the battery is totally dead.

If you got no indication that the battery was charging, even after having it plugged in overnight, then I'd suspect that the charger you used was not actually charging the device. It could be that the battery is dead beyond even being able to show the message that the battery needs to be charged and the charger you're using is either not working properly of is not meant to charge an iPad. iPad chargers are typically rated between 10-12 watts. If the charger you're trying to use is meant for an iPhone (5 watts), then it's not capable of properly charging an iPad. The cable you're using may also be defective.

Also, check the charging port at the bottom of the iPad and make sure that there is no lint/dust/etc inside. Anything in the port that will cause the contacts between the cable and the contacts inside of the port to not make proper contact will prevent the battery from charging. If you find dust/lint inside, remove it with a clean brush...a clean toothbrush along with blowing it out with your breath will work fine.

If you have an Apple Store nearby, it may be worth a visit to the Genius Bar so they can sort out the issue. They can use a qualified charger on the device to see if it's the charger...and also do some diagnostics to test the battery, etc. Take all of what you're trying to use to charge the iPad with you to your reservation. Also note that ou'll need your Apple ID to make a Genius Bar reservation:

https://www.apple.com/retail/geniusbar/

May 24, 2015 11:07 AM in response to emilym123

In addition, you state the device as being an "iPad". If it's in fact a first generation iPad (with NO camera), then the battery may well be past it's usable lifespan. The original iPad was introduced in 2010 so if your device is from that vintage, the battery may in fact be shot. You can have Apple replace the battery for ~$100 but in my personal opinion, it just isn't worth it on a device that old and not capable of running iOS higher than 5.1.1. Today's apps are requiring iOS 6, 7 or even 8 and putting money into a device that cannot even run current apps is not a good idea in my opinion. I would recommend using that $100 towards the purchase of a more current and capable device.

As I mentioned above, take the whole shebang in to an Apple Store to get a free evaluation and a definitive answer.

Why won't my iPad turn on?HELP

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.