Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

opened my safari this morning with a message that my laptop could be hacked and that i need to call 647-360-4454 right away

I opened my mac air to this message this morning that my mac could have malware and virus. And to call this particular number which i posted on my heading. Lo and behold, my co-worker and i were just talking about it yesterday as she had to call this number and paid a huge amount to get her laptop fixed. I even told her that it could be a scam. Guess what? I did the same thing. I called that number, i had someone from "support" chatting with me and showing me on my laptop what was wrong. As the conversation unfolded, i asked her "Are you the official apple tech support?" She didn't really answer me but transferred me to tech support. This tech support guy then proceeded to tell me over the phone the things i needed to do- pay them $299 for fixing my macbook air and then give me a deal on security software online for $249 for 2 years. I told this guy to just fix my laptop and i will bring my laptop to the apple store and have them install security software. He, then, told me that i can't do that because apple won't do it and that only them can provide such service online. Long story short, i fixed the problem myself and now have OS X Yosemite upgrade. And i will be going to the apple store today to inform them of this incident.

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 10:58 AM

3 replies

May 24, 2015 1:26 PM in response to travelbug75

The link that dominic23 posted will give you more information about this, but I would draw attention to the fact that, because you allowed this scammer to have remote access to your computer, it should now be considered compromised. The only way to ensure that it is clean will be to erase the hard drive and reinstall the system and all your apps from scratch. Instructions are in that link.

Be aware that if you take it to an Apple Store, they'll probably take a look and tell you it's clean. They may first run my AdwareMedic app to clean off any adware, then tell you it's clean. However, this is not remotely sufficient to ensure that the scammer didn't hack your computer in some way. As painful as it is, only erasing the hard drive will suffice. Nothing else will do.

May 30, 2015 6:52 AM in response to travelbug75

I had the same problem this morning BUT in Safari on my iPhone 6 Plus. I called Apple support and they had me do the following:

1. Close all apps.

2. Go to settings/iCloud/Safari and turn off Safari.

3. In settings then go to Safari and clear HISTORY AND WEBSITE data.

4. In settings go back to iCloud and turn on safari.

Safari is again working. Tech support says that this will fix issue with Safari and that the problem has not infected Find iPhone or iCloud apps.

A fix will be issued soon.

Hope this helps

opened my safari this morning with a message that my laptop could be hacked and that i need to call 647-360-4454 right away

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.