Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Copying Voice Memos

I have synced my voice memos from my iPhone to my iMac, so it is safely in an iTunes Playlist. I have then deleted the voice memos from the iPhone so I have space to record more voice memos. How do I sync the new voice memos without risking losing the existing ones I have saved in iTunes on my iMac?

Is there a way to duplicate the voice memo, by saving it to another format - say a USB key or an external hard drive, so I can archive it?

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:42 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:47 PM

Juliet 48 wrote:

I have synced my voice memos from my iPhone to my iMac, so it is safely in an iTunes Playlist. I have then deleted the voice memos from the iPhone so I have space to record more voice memos. How do I sync the new voice memos without risking losing the existing ones I have saved in iTunes on my iMac?

Just sync it. iTunes will not delete them.

However, you do make regular backups of you computer, correct?

Is there a way to duplicate the voice memo, by saving it to another format - say a USB key or an external hard drive, so I can archive it?

You can simply drag form iTunes to the desktop or wherever.

But you should make regular, complete backups of you computer.

Get an external drive and plug it in to use Time Machine. Simple.

See this -> Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Juliet 48

Juliet 48 wrote:

Just sync it. iTunes will not delete them.

However, you do make regular backups of you computer, correct?

You can simply drag form iTunes to the desktop or wherever.

But you should make regular, complete backups of you computer.

Get an external drive and plug it in to use Time Machine. Simple.

See this -> Mac Basics: Time Machine backs up your Mac - Apple Support

Oct 27, 2015 3:53 PM in response to boettcherl

I had a problem with my voice memos not syncing recently. I figured out that if the track name on the memo you want to sync is the same as a memo that had been previously synced (such as "New Recording 2") you must rename the memo on your phone before it will allow you to do so. Also, some special characters like a dash ( - ) cannot be used as well.

I hope this helps!

Copying Voice Memos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.