Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone wants to sync to the wrong computer

This is ios 8.3, iPhone 6 plus I bought first of May. I was attempting to sync with an old computer but the computer kept crapping out. So I moved my iTunes selection to a new computer. iTunes works fine from the new computer. Then I tried to sync the iphone and it seemed to work ok. The songs play. If connected via cable, I can sync from the computer.

But in Settings -> General -> iTunes Wi-Fi Sync, the computer it keeps looking for is the old computer. I can't seem to get that value to change no matter what I try. I've tried deleting all the music, various restarts and other things.

Any suggestions?

Thank yo

iPhone 6 Plus, iOS 8.3

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:51 PM

3 replies

May 27, 2015 3:04 PM in response to CarlAVII

Thank you. What I ended up doing is first trying a reset of all settings. That did not work. I then did a hard reset (delete all data and settings) and that worked but I also discovered a few quirks which I wish I would have noticed before.

First, when the iPhone is connected via the cable, the Sync Via Wifi screen often has the picture of the cable, etc.

Second, iTunes will time out after a short while and you can no longer sync via Wifi without jumping through some hoops.

But one of the things I discovered in my quest is that you can go to Settings -> General -> Usage -> Manage Storage -> Music. From there you can delete your entire Music collection. I mention this because there were things in my music collection that just would not go away and I didn't know how to delete them. I wondered if something was in that data that kept causing it to want to sync up with the old computer. I did not try it but one page I found about Wifi Sync problems suggested deleting the music and shows how. I have a rather strong belief that that would have cured my issue.

iphone wants to sync to the wrong computer

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.