Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Loading Mac OS clean on a ibook G4 800 Mhz

I have tried to do a clean install on a IBook G4 800MHZ with disc I have from iMac and powermac and can't get OS9 and OSX to load. It says not applicable on this machine.

Posted on May 24, 2015 1:18 PM

6 replies

May 24, 2015 1:43 PM in response to Niel

I tried iMac discs from older G3 and Power mac disc from 800 dual drive plus restore disc apple care the works. I plugged it into my Imac duo core and did a erase format on the drive and it went away for a while until I put a apple care disc in and initialized it in utilities. But nothing will allow me to load to the Hard drive it created? I have encountered problems in past on older machines and seems like magic something accidentally works but not this time. I am restoring it to run older version of FCP and MOTU for a friend so decided to wipe it clean not a good idea. lol

May 25, 2015 8:33 AM in response to The Reel McCoy

Your iBook 800 came with OS X 10.3 and can only be upgraded to 10.4.11. It will not operate with OS 9 natively. You can however use Classic environment which can provide access to older software which requires OS 9.

Mac OS X: What is a Classic Application?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classic_Environment

How to install Classic from retail OS9 disk to G5 w/OS 10.4?

https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!search/Mac$20OS$209.2.2$20for$20dir ect$20startup$20(or$20Classic)/macos9/nR…

User uploaded file

May 31, 2015 4:56 PM in response to The Reel McCoy

No iBook G4 will take the Mac OS 9 retail discs. They will only take the original installer discs that came with them to install Mac OS 9.

This article covers the minimum Mac OS 9 of every Mac that came with it:

Mac OS: Versions, builds included with PowerPC Macs (since 1998) - Apple Support

Any that have a minimum more than 9.2 (9.2.1 or 9.2.2) require the included Mac OS 9 installer disc, or restore discs that came with the Mac in question to install Mac OS 9.

Loading Mac OS clean on a ibook G4 800 Mhz

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.