Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

change apple id without losing contacts

Can I change My Apple ID on my Iphone 5 without losing contacts?

iPhone 5, iOS 7.1.2

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:03 PM

5 replies

May 24, 2015 12:40 PM in response to Tuckleberry11

If you're just changing the primary email address associated with the Apple ID, then you're still using the same Apple ID, just with a different name. In such a case, you'll still keep the same contacts you had before if those contacts were located on an iCloud account using that particular Apple ID.

If you're creating an entirely separate Apple ID, then you could still potentially keep the same contacts. Just choose to keep your contacts on your phone when you sign out of iCloud.

In either case, make sure to sign out of your Apple ID first on your devices before you make any changes.

May 24, 2015 12:42 PM in response to Tuckleberry11

That depends on what you mean by "change your Apple ID". If your email address has been changed, you can update your Apple ID to use the new email without creating a new Apple ID. You will still have access to all the same data and content. I've done this once myself.

Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

If you create a new Apple ID, that Apple ID will not have access to the same information as the old. However, you can enable Family Sharing and share a number of things across Apple IDs.

change apple id without losing contacts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.