Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes won't open when iPod is plugged in - iPod won't show up when iTunes is open

iTunes won't open when iPod is plugged in - iPod won't show up when iTunes is open - pretty much says it all. Using an iPod classic, relatively new generation - arguably there's a number of corrupted files on there and it probably needs restoring. Problem is when I try to open the folder on the device (in the computer menu) it just loads forever and won't open. Was trying to open it so I could save my files to my PC.

When the iPod is plugged in, I start iTunes and it shows up only on processes but the program never actually launches.

So far I have tried:

1. Rebooting iPod plugged & unplugged

2. Uninstalling/Installing iTunes

3. Checking for Apple mobile Device USB (it's fine, no ! or ?)

4. Rebooting computer

5. Trying different cables

Thanks in advance!

Using Windows 7 and the newest iTunes, newest drivers.

iPod classic, Windows 7

Posted on May 24, 2015 12:59 PM

3 replies

May 26, 2015 11:19 AM in response to Emp590

Greetings Emp590,

It sounds as if iTunes is not detecting your iPod when it is connected to your Windows computer, a distressing situation to be sure. Let's see if we can get you back up and running.

I would suggest that you troubleshoot using the steps in this article -

iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Be well,

Brett L

May 26, 2015 4:32 PM in response to Brett L

Hi Brett,

I've tried everything, including multiple restores, reboots, re-installations and so on.

I'm pretty sure at this point that the problem is some sort of acute hard drive failure:

Diagnostics give me 12656 reallocs, which is apparently significant.

I bought the iPod last January - is there a warranty or quality assurance guarantee?

I've tried reformatting and so on, but it always fails for one r reason or anothe

Thanks,

Harry

iTunes won't open when iPod is plugged in - iPod won't show up when iTunes is open

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.