Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to delete photos in Photos (imac)

Hi, Please help. I just started using Photos (vs 1.0) and i just can't work out how to delete photos. The delete button doesn't work, there is no trash can any more and no option to delete under the Image menu. I know i am probably being stupid here. Been using iPhoto on an iMac for years with no problems.

Thanks in advance...

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 1:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 1:56 PM

In Photos, all All Photos or an album view select one or more photos and press the delete key - or right click none and select delete "n" pnotos - in an album delete form album does that delete photos deletes them from the ibrary

When they are deleted they will still be available in Recently deleted Photos (file menu ==> recently deleted photos) for up to 30 days or can be selected and deleted immediately form there

LN

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 1:56 PM in response to MaccFlint

In Photos, all All Photos or an album view select one or more photos and press the delete key - or right click none and select delete "n" pnotos - in an album delete form album does that delete photos deletes them from the ibrary

When they are deleted they will still be available in Recently deleted Photos (file menu ==> recently deleted photos) for up to 30 days or can be selected and deleted immediately form there

LN

May 24, 2015 3:01 PM in response to MaccFlint

Deleting Photos from a Photos Library

1 - regardless of where you are in the library, i.e. Moments, Collections, albums, smart albums or projects, select the photo(s) you want to delete and use the key combination of Command+Option+Delete to move the photos to the Recently Deleted smart album.

2 - use the File ➙ Show Recently Deleted menu option to go to the Recently Deleted smart album.

User uploaded file

3 - in the Recently Deleted album you and opt to let the photo automatically delete after the 30 day waiting period is up, delete them immediately or restore them to the library.

User uploaded file

NOTE: deleting a photo from an album, slideshow, book, etc., with only the Delete key only deletes that photo from that item. Deleting a photo from a Moment or Collection deletes ALL occurences of that photo in the library.

User uploaded file

May 25, 2015 3:15 PM in response to Old Toad

Selecting "command + option + delete" is not working for me (I get an error sound whenever I hit the delete key). Any ideas as to why? The only way I can delete a photo is via the right click, which to me seems like to much work when my delete key is sitting right there. I hope there is a setting somewhere that I have not seen...

Thanks for your help.

How to delete photos in Photos (imac)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.