Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Kernel_Task slowing down CPU after liquid spill

Hey all,

I am an absolute idiot and hit some juice over and it went all over my roommate's macbook keyboard. I grabbed it quickly, held it upside down, forced a shut down, and left it upside down on a towel for 72 hours. Now it's powering on normally but everything is running very slowly. According to Activity Monitor system is taking up 85% of the CPU which is strange because it only uses up around 10% on my older Macbook Pro. I quit out of everything running but the ever-elusive kernel_task is using 305% of the CPU which doesn't even make any sense to me. Kernel_task was also using up around 600mb of RAM, so nothing too crazy there. After some research it seemed like kernel_task was supposed to use up a lot of CPU if the computer was running hot but it didn't seem to be much more than a little warm which seems normal. To be sure I downloaded "Macs Fan Control" which displays the temperature of different components inside the mac. They all read around 30-40° which is the same as my Macbook Pro which works fine so I assume it isn't a problem there. Unfortunately I don't have a screwdriver with me nor do I have any idea where I could get one by here (I am in Italy for study abroad) so I can't really get it open but I wouldn't be surprised if I found some residue. That being said though it still doesn't make sense why the hardware would be running seemingly fine but kernel_task be running in overdrive like that. Is there a way to disable kernel_task? Is opening up the computer a necessity? Thanks!

Macbook Pro, 2013

OS X Mavericks

Processor: 2.5ghz

RAM: 8gb ddr3

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on May 24, 2015 1:08 PM

5 replies

Kernel_Task slowing down CPU after liquid spill

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.