Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Songs Are There, But Playlists are Gone

I just bought a new laptop. I think I FINALLY have my music all on here, (and in fact most of my songs were duplicated, and some were on there three times) but my playlists are gone.

I followed the instructions here:

How to move your iTunes library to a new computer - Apple Support

to get my music over, but my playlists didn't come with it.

So then I found these instructions here:

About iTunes library files - Apple Support

I found both of those on my old computer. However, the most recent update I can find is 2013. I KNOW I have updated my playlists since then. I don't want to cause any problems with the music I just transferred over, nor do I want my playlists from 2013. I had some really strange issues with iTunes on my old computer, and I can't help but wonder if that's part of it. So then, in doing a bit more searching, I found files with a similar name, (it just had a date attached to it, and I think I did that, to "help" me find my right library at one point in time) and they had the correct date on them. So I tried to transfer those, but still no playlists. I am transferring FROM a Gateway running Windows Vista and transferring TO an HP Spectre running Windows 8. At this point in time, it it best to just call it quits and re-make my playlists from scratch? I'd rather not, but... at this point, I'm wondering if I have any options.

Posted on May 24, 2015 2:23 PM

1 reply

May 27, 2015 7:15 AM in response to Allison_Joy

As a rule all you have to do is copy over the entire iTunes folder from the user's music folder on the old computer into the user's music folder on the new one. Copying the media folder instead and importing this into a new empty library would behave as you have described. In some cases you can get away with copying over the bits that were left behind the first time around. For background see Make a split library portable.

tt2

Songs Are There, But Playlists are Gone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.