Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Getting blank screen using Boot Camp to install Windows 7

I am trying to install Windows 7 Enterprise on my Mac Mini (Late 2014). I used Boot Camp Assistant to create the WININSTALL USB flash drive, downloaded the Windows support files, and created the Windows partition successfully. Then, when the Mac reboots into the flash drive, it would go to a black blank screen. I see the access light flashing on the flash drive so it seems like the Mac is trying to access the flash drive. This goes on for a couple of minutes and then stops. There is nothing else plugged into the USB ports other than the flash drive and a wired USB keyboard.

I have tried with 2 different flash drives and different keyboards, and I get the same result.

I have successfully installed on 5 other Mac Minis successfully, but they are one generation older. Perhaps there are some driver incompatibilities with the newer Mac Minis?

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2015 5:21 PM

Windows Enterprise is not officially supported.

Is your USB a USB2 flash drive? Did you manually download Windows Support Software to the USB, or did BCA do it for you? Manual download will not work.

Your MacMini is UEFI-compliant, so you can also install Windows. W8.1 is most likely to work with EFI. W7 has EFI boot issues.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2015 5:21 PM in response to Thitsa

Windows Enterprise is not officially supported.

Is your USB a USB2 flash drive? Did you manually download Windows Support Software to the USB, or did BCA do it for you? Manual download will not work.

Your MacMini is UEFI-compliant, so you can also install Windows. W8.1 is most likely to work with EFI. W7 has EFI boot issues.

May 25, 2015 2:27 PM in response to Thitsa

1. Are you using Alt/Option Key to choose the USB to boot from? Normally, after partitioning is complete, it automatically reboots and starts Windows installer?

2. What are the choices you have when you use the Alt Key?

3. Can you post the output of the following Terminal commands?

diskutil list

diskutil cs list

sudo gpt -vv -r show /dev/disk0

sudo fdisk /dev/disk0

The "sudo" commands will prompt for your password, and it will not be echoed back. You may also see a warning about improper use of "sudo" and potential data loss due to "abuse" of the command.

Jun 14, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Loner T

Guys I have this same problem. I'm not clear as to what the solution is.

I have a late 2014 mac mini where I'm trying to install Windows 8.1 Pro 64 bit. I run through the boot camp program on my mac where it creates the USB flash drive using the ISO file, partition the drive 500 GB/500GB and reboot. When the machine boots I get a black screen. I have to hard power cycle and remove the flash drive and it'll go into OSX. If I try to hold the ALT key, I get like video noise and/or black screen.

I believe the ISO is good because I can use it to install through Vmware Fusion 7.

Anyways, I'm using a Sandisk Cruzer 16 Gb flash drive. I think it's USB 2.0 as it's several years old. It has the white slider button.

There's alot of talk about the flash drive needing to be USB 2.0. I also saw a post where they plugged in a Thunderbolt monitor which had USB 2.0 ports built into it.

Any ideas. Thanks for your help you all.

Getting blank screen using Boot Camp to install Windows 7

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.